Talk

Advanced search

What plant is this? (Photo)

(13 Posts)
YesLordSugar Fri 30-Dec-16 20:25:24

Please could anyone identify this plant? Moved house and have about 10 of these at the back of the garden. Are they worth keeping? Repotting? Thanks! flowers

weaselwords Fri 30-Dec-16 20:27:13

Daylily?

OhTheRoses Fri 30-Dec-16 20:28:28

Are they as grown/forward as this now?

MattBerrysHair Fri 30-Dec-16 20:31:23

It looks like it could be Liriope muscari, but it's hard to be sure without seeing it in flower.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 30-Dec-16 20:32:52

agapanthus?? the leaves maybe too dainty for that though.

OhTheRoses Fri 30-Dec-16 20:34:50

I'd have said crocossimia but my leaves died off two months ago with little sprouts appearing now.

Quite nice to pad out a bed with easy summer colour if so but nothing to write home about x

YesLordSugar Fri 30-Dec-16 20:35:18

This photo was taken today if that helps!

NeedATrim Fri 30-Dec-16 20:39:27

Oooh I recognise this. I'm sure i have it. It looks exactly like mine does.. I do not know the name. But when mine is in flower it has spears of tiny mauve buds, about 8 to each plant,each spear is around 9 ish inches high. Its a plant for shady areas. I wish I knew the name. Darn it.

OhTheRoses Fri 30-Dec-16 20:49:10

Don't think it's crocossima then and upon a second look it's leaves are too chunky.

Trethew Fri 30-Dec-16 23:20:36

NeedATrim you're describing Liriope muscari which Matt suggested.

I think that's probably what it is, definitely if it has purple flower spikes, in which case worth keeping. But could be a Carex of some sort. Def not daylily or crocosmia

Trethew Fri 30-Dec-16 23:23:06

Just had another look - think it's Luzula sylvatica (woodrush).

Ferguson Sat 31-Dec-16 20:11:53

This looks like it - some people consider it ground cover, others consider it a weed:

www.perennials.com/plants/luzula-sylvatica.html

shovetheholly Sun 01-Jan-17 08:26:55

Yep, another vote for woodrush. It grows wild in the woods round here where it forms a thick carpet on the darker slopes. It is not a plant that preens with beautiful foliage or flowers, but it is rather pretty en masse when the flowers are out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now