Talk

Advanced search

I've been given an Amaryllis

(10 Posts)
GinAndOnIt Mon 26-Dec-16 11:49:19

And have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it fgrin

DP said something about it having to be in a pot so I can bring it in in the cold every year - is that right?

dementedpixie Mon 26-Dec-16 14:00:39

I get my mum an amaryllis every year and she grows it indoors in a pot (that comes with the bulb). I don't think she keeps the bulb afterwards and she gets a new one the next year

GinAndOnIt Mon 26-Dec-16 15:26:52

It is currently grown into a plant so more than a bulb - shall I just keep it in its pot and look after it indoors, then put it out in Spring? I guess then just leave it and dispose of it once it's done a year? I'd rather it go outside if possible than keep it as a house plant.

Mummylin Mon 26-Dec-16 15:41:52

Most people grow them indoors, some people manage to keep the bulb and grow it the following year, but so far I haven't been able to do this succesfully. They are the most beautiful plant when the flowers are out and it dosent take too long to grow. Enjoy it, I have one too !

Mummylin Mon 26-Dec-16 15:42:46

Oh and once the flowers are gone it dosent usually flower again until the next year.

lovelearning Mon 26-Dec-16 15:52:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lovelearning Mon 26-Dec-16 16:03:13

It is currently grown into a plant so more than a bulb - shall I just keep it in its pot and look after it indoors, then put it out in Spring?

Try to make it to a recording of Gardeners' Question Time.

The panelists' knowledge is vast.

GinAndOnIt Mon 26-Dec-16 16:04:04

What is Gardeners Question Time?!

lovelearning Mon 26-Dec-16 16:05:24

It's a Radio 4 programme.

Quite informative.

MirabelleTree Wed 28-Dec-16 10:05:37

I think once it has flowered you are supposed to feed it weekly throughout the summer then stop watering it in September and let it die back. It then in theory will grow again. Disclaimer - I did not do this with mine and I think it might be dead so cheated and got a new one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now