Talk

Advanced search

Gardening shoes/boots

(10 Posts)
biscuitbadger Tue 20-Dec-16 19:16:19

I have wellies and I have those rubbery clogs to use in my garden at home.
I'm hoping to get some part time gardening work and wondered what kind of footwear I should go with. The clogs are no good really in hot, or cold, or wet weather! Wellies would be ok though a bit clumpy. So I was just wondering what professional or more experienced gardeners wear?

Trethew Wed 21-Dec-16 13:15:49

I wear these four, five or sometimes six days a week, in and out of mud, stones, bog and hard surfaces. I'm now on my fourth pair. They are warm, light, grippy and above all comfortable. Not safety boots though (no steel toecaps). They last nearly two years then develop splits between the sole and upper. Not cheap at £85 but tax deductible if you're self-employed.

www.grisport.co.uk/walking-boots-c78/lady-hurricane-brown-p1292

Picture shows current pair (muddy from tree planting) and previous pair recycled

shovetheholly Wed 21-Dec-16 13:40:53

I'm a big fan of decathlon wellies!! They have a really lovely thick, warm lining for the winter and are really cheap. I am on heavy clay so I need treads for grip, but then they inevitably get full of muck. Being able to rinse shoes down is invaluable!

Trethew Wed 21-Dec-16 14:22:19

holly I get really stinky feet in wellies and have yet to find a way of destinking the lining. Any ideas? or maybe you don't have this problem

ChuckSnowballs Wed 21-Dec-16 14:27:11

I use Merrell walking boots and have done for years. Mine usually last a good two years before I wear them out. I usually leave them to dry on the back step and knock any mud off if I've been on really clayey soil.

shovetheholly Wed 21-Dec-16 15:00:14

trethew-- the ones I buy have a removable fleece lining that you can sling in the washing machine! I am very mucky so it really helps!!

I use walking boot type things in the summer though, when the clay is dry.

I have been known to garden in high heels. I was at an extremely stressful do where there had been a huge row between friends (not involving me) and I was so miserable that everyone was angry with everyone else. There were allotments next to the venue and someone had left a plot half dug over and the spade still in. So I went and dug it for them in my sparkly dress and stilettoes. [Smile] It made me feel loads better but it did rather ruin my look.

bookbook Wed 21-Dec-16 15:03:54

I wear wellies. Mens wellies with a very thick tread, and room for an extra pair of socks. In proper winter, I have some fleece lined ones. They are kept at my allotment, so must admit they get left there to stink a bit , the fleece is bonded to the wlly though ...... < suddenly thinks it may be a good idea to go and see about cleaning them >

PurpleWithRed Mon 26-Dec-16 21:28:58

I bought some muck boot shoes and love them. Comfortable and can be hosed down. Not too clumpy. Got a good discount at Hampton Court.

arbrighton Tue 27-Dec-16 21:03:30

I wear my old battered walking boots but when I volunteered in a garden run by a charity, I had to have steel toe caps.

biscuitbadger Thu 29-Dec-16 20:38:25

Cool, thanks there are some good suggestions here. Sounds like I will need to check whether I need steel toe caps before I invest in anything.

Hoping to be starting somewhere in the next few months - exciting stuff smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: