It's November. What is flowering in your garden?

(24 Posts)
Fadingmemory Wed 16-Nov-16 08:39:16

In my central Scottish garden - Scabious, Lobelia, Hydrangeas, Erysimum, Fuschias. One solitary flower each of Ox-eye daisy and Clematis Montana!

Mummyshortlegz Wed 16-Nov-16 08:41:49

My fuschia and hebe are both in bloom.

ClaudiaApfelstrudel Wed 16-Nov-16 08:56:58

I have some nasturtiums that are coming out nicely

Monkeybunkey Wed 16-Nov-16 16:31:36

Fuschia and hebe. I was going to cut the fuschia back for the winter but I'm leaving it for now. Violas still going strong as well.

Mummyshortlegz Wed 16-Nov-16 16:32:31

Oh yes I have violas too, still looking fresh.

Chottie Wed 16-Nov-16 16:33:43

Fuchsias, petunias, geraniums, roses and hydrangeas.

ZebedeesJeans Wed 16-Nov-16 19:49:30

I have a delphinium. Every year I cut them back after they've flowered and they often send up a new shoot, but it's never managed to flower before. I'm ridiculously happy with this

(I also have a some scabious, pelargoniums, sweet peas, poppies and lavender, but all are very straggly looking now)

P1nkP0ppy Wed 16-Nov-16 19:55:42

Lots of roses, Veronica, tender fuchsias, lobelia and diascias in my hanging baskets, sunflowers growing under the bird feeders, pelargoniums, violas and Passion flowers so doing pretty well for mid November!

Oldraver Wed 16-Nov-16 23:12:44

Some violas, Petuna Starry night just hanging on

A few flowers on Choisya, Lavatera, a lovely bi-colour.

Osteospernum quite large and still flowering.....I've never had much luck with these plants and usually kill them

There are a few blue Lobelia and Tagetes showing, though not sure I could say they were 'flowering'

dodobookends Thu 17-Nov-16 00:19:31

Calendula, a scrap of lobelia, sarcococca, pelargoniums, begonias, one of the roses, fuchsias, a solitary strawberry, rosemary and winter-flowering pansies. And the camellia doesn't look all that far off either.

JT05 Thu 17-Nov-16 08:04:12

Sweet peas in SW Scotland!

shovetheholly Thu 17-Nov-16 12:15:21

Cyclamen and hollyhock (odd and unenvisaged combination). Schizostylis and a pink geranium (both just going over). And my Viburnum x bodnatense and tinus are coming out. It feels like a strange mix!

Am surprised by choisya!

Trethew Fri 18-Nov-16 15:35:41

Camillia Paradise Pearl

gingeroots Fri 18-Nov-16 20:15:40

Oh ,how lovely !

SeaRabbit Sat 19-Nov-16 07:51:36

Roses, nasturtiums, cosmos, lobelia, fan plant ( Scaevola), fuchsias, marigolds, Californian poppy, all of which have been flowering for months. I put my dahlias & salvias away a couple of weeks ago or they would still be flowering too.

Plus, just about to flower, pineapple sage - better late than never - it's not usually this late. Or last night's frost might have done for it I haven't looked yet. And helleborus foetidus

BlueCowWonders Sat 19-Nov-16 07:57:28

Antirrhinums still going strong here, both in pots and in the ground.

bookbook Sat 19-Nov-16 08:38:34

Gosh, people have a lot still out!
I have cyclamen and some early primroses , chrysanthemum ( though now slightly frost bitten) , Pieris and a plucky penstemon. fuschias , heathers, violas and pansies
SeaRabbit - I have been given a nice little cutting of pineapple sage - I have it in the greenhouse as I wasn't sure if it was hardy or not ( Up in Yorkshire here) do you keep yours outside?

gingeroots Sat 19-Nov-16 09:25:35

SeaRabbit that Scaevola looks lovely .Have you had it for long ?

I was reading a description of it ( Miami based garden centre/nursery )and came across this sentence

Scaevola is also self cleaning so you don't have to remove the dead flowers to keep the plant in production

I can't imagine what it means .

I see it's sometimes known as the fairy fan plant so I imagine that's the answer .A team of fairy gardeners deadheading in the moonlight .

bookbook Sat 19-Nov-16 10:32:17

well, I have just been out into the garden to hang out washing and feed the birds. Two of my three fuschias have gone overnight , so scrub them . But my Hypericum 'Hidcote" still has flowers on which I hadn't realised, and the creeping perennial geranium still has some too!. So swings and roundabouts here smile

shovetheholly Sun 20-Nov-16 16:42:51

book - My garden is also far more wintry sounding than many others on here! We've had at least 5 days where it has snowed already, though it's only settled once, and then only for a couple of hours. Frost-sensitive things like echinacea have definitely retreated below ground.

Scaevola is an amazing-looking thing! I love the idea of fairy gardeners. I need some to come and cut my hedge though. Do you think they do heavy duty varieties? grin

bookbook Mon 21-Nov-16 09:05:34

We could all do with fairy gardeners , couldn't we?
But then again, I love the feeling of a job well done, and all my own work .. ( well, maybe DH too !)

Isitjustmeorisiteveryoneelse Mon 21-Nov-16 09:10:39

Geraniums, lots and lots of roses, still got buddleia and grape hyancinths starting to send out second buds of the year which might not survive if we get a frost any time soon. In SE

SeaRabbit Mon 21-Nov-16 13:21:07

Bookbook I am in SE and no Pineaple sage has ever made it through winter for me. Because they flower so late I always leave them out to enjoy the flowers for as long as possible. I should take cuttings, but don't, so buy new each year.

Scaevola is lovely isn't it - I had not thought about it but it is self-cleaning - you don't need to dead head and it flowers for ages. It didn't make it through winter in the garage last year so again I buy new - our garden centre sells those tiny plugs of it for 99p early in spring.

I hagve loads of antirhinnums out too - I forgot.

bookbook Mon 21-Nov-16 18:34:12

Thanks SeaRabbit - mines only a little thing - a sprig about 4" tall with a lot of small side shoots, so will see how it goes. May just bring it inside when if it gets colder smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now