Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to box/laurel for pots at front door

(14 Posts)
Afternoondelights Tue 08-Nov-16 16:40:38

Hi all, I want to get a couple of large pots for the front door step but want something different than the usual box or bay. Would lavender be suitable? I have some in the garden which dies off and comes back every year but wondered if there was an all year round variety? Any other suggestions? Tia

aircooled Tue 08-Nov-16 18:17:39

Lavender will just look tatty in the winter. How about Ilex crenata - a holly with small leaves that can be clipped like box. Black berries if you're lucky.

Allalonenow Tue 08-Nov-16 18:23:01

Lavender is lovely during the summer, but goes straggly over the winter, what about planting up with winter pansies, ivy, and a small juniper?

gingeroots Tue 08-Nov-16 18:52:38

I'm not sure it floats my boat ( maybe looks better in the flesh ? ) but my brother saw this

www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Trees+and+Shrubs/All+Trees+and+Shrubs/Ligustrum+j+Plant+-+Rotundifolium_297421.htm
at Kiplings Garden in Rottingdean recently and he's ordered some .
Supposed to be very slow growing .

Afternoondelights Tue 08-Nov-16 19:18:33

Thanks for your replies, the flowers look very pretty on that gingeroots
I'll Google the others and drag dh to the garden centre this weekend grin

NotPennysBoat Tue 08-Nov-16 19:26:02

I've just bought a couple of nice Heathers for my doorstep pots. They're green & purple so add a bit of colour too.
Disclaimer: not green fingered in the least, so no idea if this was a good buy or not!

gingeroots Wed 09-Nov-16 07:31:32

NotPennys I do like the heathers but haven't done well in the second year with them .I find they go brown at the base .

I've kept them though with planting around them to disguise .They're not expensive though and easy ( unless you're parsimonious like me ) to treat like a bedding plant .

I think they like sun and ericaous soil . Does anyone knowledgeable know what causes the brown/dieing at the bottom ? Not enough moisture ?Inadequate ventilation ?

Forgive spelling ,in shock this morning over America .Huddling here for relief .

ikeawrappingpaper Wed 09-Nov-16 07:39:40

I have just put in a prostrate Rosemary - the flower more than regular ones and at the garden centre they had some big ones in pots which kind of hung down around the edges of the pots in a very pleasing way smile

Inthenick Wed 09-Nov-16 07:40:01

Hebe's?

Afternoondelights Wed 09-Nov-16 17:23:25

Ah rosemary, can't believe I didn't think of it, brilliant idea, thanks

aircooled Wed 09-Nov-16 17:59:47

Another thought, Pittosporum? There are lots of varieties with green, black or variegated leaves.

PlumsGalore Wed 09-Nov-16 18:12:17

I have an olive tree in the summer and a holly tree in the winter, I swap them around. The holly has berries so very festive.

bookbook Thu 10-Nov-16 08:51:44

I have a Pieris Japonica by my front door , also a winter /spring bulb pot with a heather and then swap that for a hanging basket in spring/summer

shovetheholly Thu 10-Nov-16 16:21:43

If you are after topiary, there are lots of plants you can use from yew to lonicera nitida to holly!

If you're not so worried by form, you could go for a pot of fragrant plants to give you a hit of scent over the winter. Something like sarcococca confusa smells just gorgeous very early in the year, and you could underplant with cyclamen for a splash of colour.

The prostrate rosemary is a lovely idea as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now