Talk

Advanced search

Window boxes

(11 Posts)
SillyMoomin Sat 29-Oct-16 12:04:31

Hello,

I'd like to get some thin window boxes to hang over our Juliet balcony stupid bloody thing

Anyway, is there anything good to plant in November in window boxes? My mum always plants hyacinths around winter time I think?, but are they an indoor plant?

Don't mind having a few different things in there which will flower / sprout / grow in different seasons. Quite happy to have either flowers / herbs / green things?!

We're in the south east if that makes any difference. Many thanks!

HaveYouSeenHerLately Sat 29-Oct-16 17:51:12

Miniature daffs, crocus, tulip bulbs with a layer of winter pansies on top to tide you over until the bulbs pop up in the spring grin

Other options include cyclamen, viola, miniature ivy, golden conifers, jerusalem cherry and so on.

I've had success in my local Morrisons, the garden bit stocks many of these for £1 a pot.
My Homebase was also full of trays of reduced pansies yesterday. Nothing wrong with the majority, think they'd simply over-ordered. Avoid the really leggy ones.

Richardhun Sat 29-Oct-16 17:53:00

Wintercabbage with coloured heather. Looks great until spring.

If you don't like coloured heather do plain or pure cabbage.

SillyMoomin Sat 29-Oct-16 17:55:57

Ooooh thank you both. Could I put the wintercabbage over the top of the mini daffs/ tulips etc?

SillyMoomin Sat 29-Oct-16 17:57:33

Oh crikey wintercabbage is actually a cabbage! I thought it was the name of a plant blush

HaveYouSeenHerLately Sat 29-Oct-16 18:04:50

I forgot about winter cabbage, I always mean to give them a try!

I'd imagine the bulbs would fine their way through but I might be mistaken...

You could then swap for summer annuals/ herbs etc in May. Lavender's good if you want to be bee-friendly smile

HaveYouSeenHerLately Sat 29-Oct-16 18:05:13

*find!

HaveYouSeenHerLately Sat 29-Oct-16 18:13:14

Oh and primula/ primrose for the winter/ spring.

I sowed a lot of nasturtiums this summer for a change and they've done brilliantly. They germinate quickly and you get a lovely trailing display of flowers for months (especially if you keep deadheading and taking off any yellow leaves). There are quite a few varieties/ colours now, I got my seeds from Wilko.

They've been a hit with bees and mine are still in full flower in the SE. I paired them with trailing petunias amongst other things.

SillyMoomin Sat 29-Oct-16 18:23:08

Brilliant, thank you very much flowers

shovetheholly Sun 30-Oct-16 14:14:10

I've just walked past a very effective combination of purple heather and gaultheria procumbens!

SillyMoomin Sun 30-Oct-16 17:42:04

Heather definitely going in somewhere, love the stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now