Advanced search

Top filling water butt

(9 Posts)
DesolateWaist Wed 26-Oct-16 09:23:41

I need to replace my water butt but I have a problem.

The current one has the down pipe draining straight into it through the top with a cut out bit of wood acting as a lid.
I want to replace it as it doesn't have a tap and it a pain.
However there is a problem.
The down pipe is asbestos so I can't drill into it or cut it.
There is no drain below the down pipe! Therefore all the water must go into the water butt. However as this is just from a small flat roof extension so there isn't so much water.

Can I buy such a thing? Everyone I look at seems to have some fancy connection thing.

wonkylegs Wed 26-Oct-16 11:49:41

Could you not just buy a water butt tap and fit that to your existing butt?
If not try asking these guys they have a live chat option on their website so may be able to steer you

DesolateWaist Wed 26-Oct-16 14:07:44

I think I might have found the answer in B and Q.
The problem with the existing butt is not just the lack of tap but the lack of lid.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Wed 26-Oct-16 16:23:55

I don't know if you can fit a tap as per Wonkyleg's suggestion? Google/ YouTube may help.

My slimline waterbutt has a plastic downpipe straight through the plastic lid. My Dad used a drill piece that cuts drainpipe sized holes?! Sorry for lack of technical know-how! It was very easy smile

shovetheholly Wed 26-Oct-16 16:57:57

Yep, you can buy really big things for drilling huge holes. They are like really sharp pastry cutters. I sometimes put them on the drill for fun and chomp through things... then DH gets cross. grin

shovetheholly Wed 26-Oct-16 16:59:05

PS I had my downpipe replaced and it was not expensive to do at all - the plastic stuff is next to nothing, so it's just labour (and not a difficult job). So do be careful that you don't end up spending more to solve the problem than it would cost to replace!

DesolateWaist Wed 26-Oct-16 19:18:48

It's not just the tap though, it is the lack of lid that is the real problem.

shovetheholly Thu 27-Oct-16 08:17:58

I think we're all suggesting solutions for the lack of lid with the massive drill bits! You could cut a hole for the pipe in something roughly the right size and shape ...

ChuckBiscuits Thu 27-Oct-16 08:21:01

Yes I just drill large holes with my large hole cutter. I'd get a lid from ebay, buy a tap from wickes [you need a 25m drill bit], empty out the butt, fit the new tap, refit the water butt, drill a hole in the lid and then fit the lid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now