Talk

Advanced search

East facing 'garden' (terrace), what bright colour would look good on dark brick walls

(5 Posts)
AndShesGone Mon 24-Oct-16 16:49:23

It's a maisonette with a 30 foot 'terrace', but only the 8 feet at the end is square enough to sit in. It's surrounded by black London brick walls, 50 foot ones of the maisonette and stairs, 6 foot down the side (with a 2 foot fence) above it.

I'd like to paint the whole space up to head height a bright colour - any suggestions?

Even white would look good?

AndShesGone Tue 25-Oct-16 06:29:20

Bump

shovetheholly Tue 25-Oct-16 07:24:18

Well, you can go with loads of colours, there are dozens of brilliant shades available now. I think for me the big question would be: what do you want to plant out there? It's a bit like interior decor - if your sofa is a vibrant shade of orange, you might not want to put a really obvious pink wall behind it.

I've seen stunning show gardens where dark bruise-coloured backgrounds are used against dark reds, purples and grasses with steel accents. It's very contemporary, very grown up, very sophisticated.

White and light colours will bounce light around, but they also need upkeep as they show dirt and stains more quickly.

Another idea might be to turn it into a kind of living wall!

AndShesGone Tue 25-Oct-16 08:26:18

I'm definitely going with a living wall in a couple of the 'nook' bits as high as I can reach on a stepladder, so maybe 8 feet.

It's east facing I think. I love the idea of a bruisey grey/ purpley colour, i like white flowers and bulbs best so I might go all white and green planting against a bruisey wall?

Thanks smile

shovetheholly Tue 25-Oct-16 08:40:19

I think that would be stunning. shock

Not to get all precious about it, but do look into the colour of the grey you want really closely. It makes an enormous difference if it has hints of green or of purple or of blue or even red - they all feel really quite different - all nice, but in different ways! Something really coaley could work very well with white.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now