Talk

Advanced search

Please help me identify this tree

(15 Posts)
WyldFyre Mon 24-Oct-16 14:25:08

I think it's a Rowan but the leaves aren't quite like the one I have in my garden and the berries are more orange than red

ThatGingerOne Mon 24-Oct-16 14:26:39

Mountain Ash?

WyldFyre Mon 24-Oct-16 14:48:14

Mountain ash is just another name for Rowan is it not?

shovetheholly Mon 24-Oct-16 15:36:10

There are many kinds of rowan! If it's a street tree, it could well be sorbus aucuparia 'sheerwater seedling'.

WyldFyre Mon 24-Oct-16 15:36:51

Ok. I've only ever seen the bright red kind

shovetheholly Mon 24-Oct-16 15:46:10

This might help you identify it!

www.gardenaction.co.uk/trees/rowan-mountain-ash/sorbus-other-species.asp

Emus Mon 24-Oct-16 16:11:09

Looks like a crab apple tree to me. We have one with red berries in our garden (there is another variety with orange/yellow berries).

TimTamTerrier Mon 24-Oct-16 16:15:44

The leaves certainly look like Rowan. My DC's school has about 10 rowans in the car park and the berries are all different colours from yellow through orange to red, I think one of them might have pink berries.

shovetheholly Tue 25-Oct-16 07:12:06

Oh how lovely timtam - it sounds as though they've deliberately planted different ones. I think it might be sorbus pseudohuphensis that has pink berries!

In folklore, rowan gave mighty protection from witches. So good to know your DCs are safe from spells cast from a broomstick grin

ChuckBiscuits Tue 25-Oct-16 07:25:18

Yes it is a Rowan - and what's more the berries can be made into jellies.

Emus Wed 26-Oct-16 09:01:10

Ignore my previous message about bloody crab apple trees hmm! We bought a few young trees last year for our garden but I can't remember what they are so searched my phone and found a list of them, with the top one saying crab apple with red fruit. If I'd have red a bit more I would have seen that we also have a pretty tree with red berries that makes a lovely jam!! So looks like we also have a Rowen tree too as looks exactly the same - thanks OP as I didn't have the name of that tree!! flowers

shovetheholly Wed 26-Oct-16 10:07:28

Oh *emus - please don't worry, I'm constantly getting stuff wrong! grin

I didn't know about rowan berry jelly before this thread - I learn so much from this forum!

ThatGingerOne Wed 26-Oct-16 14:50:32

Sorry, didn't know that, only ever heard them called Mountain Ash smile

shovetheholly Wed 26-Oct-16 16:03:57

And you were right as well ginger!! smile

TheNoodlesIncident Fri 28-Oct-16 23:46:10

That is a Sorbus, looks like the variety 'Joseph Rock' to me (but there are a few yellow-berried varieties). There are also pink-berried varieties like 'Pink Pagoda', so it's worth looking at a few rowans, just in case there's more you like better grin. They're mostly quite compact trees so ideal for gardens...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now