Moving Roses, prune or not prune.

(9 Posts)
Sosidges Sat 22-Oct-16 11:38:49

Tomorrow my lovely SiL is coming to help me in the garden. One of his jobs is to move two roses from the garden into pots. They will stay there for about 6 weeks. One is the climber, Graham Thomas, the other a bush Rose, Princess Anne. Both have been in the garden for 3 years.

Should I prune them before digging them up, wait till they are in the new pots, wait till they are in the new position (late November) or wait until next February when I normally prune roses.

shovetheholly Sat 22-Oct-16 16:42:39

Just wanted to answer this quickly: I am not a big rose grower, so someone may correct me on this, but the job will be loads easier, and the plants will struggle with potential water issues less if you cut them back before you move em!

bilbodog Sat 22-Oct-16 18:52:59

Yes, i agree. Prune them before you move them.

Sosidges Sun 23-Oct-16 17:23:22

Thank you for the advice. roses pruned and moved.

shovetheholly Sun 23-Oct-16 20:25:08

Hooray! Hope you are enjoying a well earned glass of wine

Sosidges Sun 23-Oct-16 21:03:36

Several

mineofuselessinformation Sun 23-Oct-16 21:11:33

When you replant them, try to avoid putting them where other roses have been - apparently this can cause re-plant disease (unless someone comes along and corrects me due to new information). But yes, prune first. If they are still quite tall, came them until you re-plant.

mineofuselessinformation Sun 23-Oct-16 21:11:58

cane** them

Sosidges Sun 23-Oct-16 21:34:00

Thank you for that, it's useful to know. The jury is out on whether they will go In a bed or large container. I am hoping to live with the new garden until spring before I make any decisions. It is very mild here so I think they will all be ok. Also dug up and potted variegated Weigelia, Virginia creeper and two clematis which were which were manfully struggling behind the climbing rose. My SiL is fabulous, he did so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now