can anyone recommend me a nice flowering shrub, fairly large?

(16 Posts)
NoahVale Mon 17-Oct-16 09:56:20

3 or 4 foot?
have also posted in chat for traffic.

shovetheholly Mon 17-Oct-16 10:32:54

Where is it for? What way does the garden face, what part of the country are you in (roughly) and what is the soil like? We can't really help unless you tell us a bit more because a shrub that likes sunny baked sites will die in shade, and a shade-lover will die in full sun!

NoahVale Mon 17-Oct-16 10:34:28

um, i think it is south facing. it gets sun and shade, and it is clay, and south uk

ChuckBiscuits Mon 17-Oct-16 10:35:49

Yes we can. But as Shove says, without knowing about your soil, site, location, climate, likes and dislikes it will likely be completely wrong.

If you have really no idea, go round your local area and see what you like that is growing in the same 'position' that you have space in [ie sunny, shady, windy] and go for one of those.

NoahVale Mon 17-Oct-16 10:41:51

there is a lovely smelling bush that i like, but i dont know for example what it is called

NoahVale Mon 17-Oct-16 10:44:16

a weigla looks quite nice

Sosidges Mon 17-Oct-16 10:44:28

I would choose the double Philadelphus, sometimes called mock orange. It has beautiful white flowers,with a scent of orange. Very easy to take care of. Another easy care shrub is Weigelia which comes in a variety of couloirs. You will have to prune it to keep it to the height.

NoahVale Mon 17-Oct-16 10:45:14

yes, i was tempted by a mock orange.
i have a wegla, ruby red, i didnt know you had to prune it, gulp, i must admit it is tall

NoahVale Mon 17-Oct-16 10:45:55

thanks sosidges

Sosidges Mon 17-Oct-16 10:59:18

You don't have to prune it. It just that you said 3 or 4 feet, so I thought it needed to into space. If you do prune it the wait till just after it is finished flowering. I prune just a third of the branches each year keep it in shape.

shovetheholly Mon 17-Oct-16 11:18:25

What about a Viburnum Opulus Roseum? Has beautiful white pom-pom flowers, followed by autumn berries and stunning leaf colour.

A Choisya might also do well in your conditions - these have scented white flowers and evergreen leaves. Some of them have lovely finely cut leaves, which look wonderful in their own right.

shovetheholly Mon 17-Oct-16 11:18:53

PS For most things, pruning is easier than you think! You can totally do this!

NoahVale Mon 17-Oct-16 15:18:53

thanks for your great suggestions - - I bought a viburnam in the past and it is great, this time i got something I had been keen on for a while, only knew it began with L ... a Leycesteria, I hope it thrives smile

NoahVale Mon 17-Oct-16 15:19:20

and also a Phlox, for the gorgeous scent, though not the height.

shovetheholly Mon 17-Oct-16 15:37:44

Oooh, good choice. They look delicate and elegant but they're really tough!

NoahVale Mon 17-Oct-16 17:38:19

that is especially good to know grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now