Talk

Advanced search

Gift plant

(13 Posts)
mypropertea Sun 09-Oct-16 19:25:24

Hi, as part of putting up a new fence we have had access to the neibours garden. We have been as careful as possible, and she is happy with the result, but some of her shrubs look a bit harassed. Anyway I thought it would be nice to give her a plant to say thank you, what's nice this time of year? I would rather it was an outside plant as she already has many house plants.

Thanks smile

mypropertea Sun 09-Oct-16 21:19:53

Anyone? Or are you all cross with me for upsetting the shrubs to begin with? sad

Sosidges Sun 09-Oct-16 21:20:41

Daphne or witch hazel have lovely winter scents.

mistlethrush Sun 09-Oct-16 21:23:31

These are in flower at this time of the year and are very pretty if your soil is moisture retentive. I've seen them growing in tubs too but I presume that they need a good amount of watering to keep them in good shape.

mypropertea Sun 09-Oct-16 21:29:53

Oh, they are gorgeous.

mypropertea Sun 09-Oct-16 21:30:42

I have a witch hazel but it is so pathetic (less than 2 foot high after 8 years) that I didn't realise it had a smell!

mistlethrush Sun 09-Oct-16 21:52:23

Wootens are very good at delivery too (I've used them for quite a lot of gifts, not local to me, and they do a very good delivery service)

bookbook Sun 09-Oct-16 22:26:39

Hydrangea?
But f you get the chance, pop to your local garden centre and you will actually be able to pick something!

shovetheholly Mon 10-Oct-16 07:41:17

What way does her garden face, and what's the soil like? The ideal gift will suit both - for example, I love a Daphne but I can't grow them in my garden because winter waterlogging and north-facing aspect mean they sulk and rot.

If this all sounds too complicated, how about buying her a Crocus voucher so she can choose something for herself??

PurpleWithRed Mon 10-Oct-16 07:48:31

I'm with the Crocus voucher - have been very impressed by their service and plants, and I hate people buying plants for me, I am very fussy!

AbyssinianBanana Mon 10-Oct-16 07:49:59

A bag of bulbs! She can plant them in pots or garden for next spring. Or some paperwhites to grow indoors for holiday season.

shovetheholly Mon 10-Oct-16 08:08:42

YES purple!

It sounds terribly ungrateful to reject a plant, doesn't it? But my heart does sink when I am given things sometimes, because what do you do? I love 99% of plants, but the ones I don't like, I loathe with an irrationally-strong passion (I'm looking at you, double Barbie-pink gloxinias and border begonias).

On the other hand, being given a plant that makes your heart sing is a wonderful thing. I was given a gorgeous hosta by my wonderful BIL, and I love it so much.

bookbook Mon 10-Oct-16 08:31:11

Vouchers- what a good idea!
I have received National Garden Vouchers as presents, and that is even better, as you can choose where to spend them, and on what!
And yes, I have a gift plant, looking at me on my kitchen windowsill. It was a rather small Anthurium , now , a couple of years later it is a rather large Anthurium. I don't really like them. I have been trying to give it away, without any success, and I really can't bring myself to throw it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now