Talk

Advanced search

I have WAY too many apples!

(12 Posts)
crazydaisies Sat 08-Oct-16 17:38:08

They're dropping all over the garden and there is only so much chutney and cakes one can make confused
Any suggestions?

Qwebec Sun 09-Oct-16 00:50:07

Maybe you have a group of voloteers in your area who would be happy to pick them, if not youw can fill some crates and donate them to a local food drive. If you want to keep them, you could make a years worth of apple sauce in sealed jars. It makes great snacks.

whirlwinds Sun 09-Oct-16 00:55:58

A house down the street bags them up and puts a sign up so people that are interested in those kind of apples can take them home.

LadyB49 Sun 09-Oct-16 01:00:55

Me too. Ive given loads away. The tree is still laden. I'm wondering if the nearby nursing home could use them in their kitchen but preparation might be too labour intensive.

averylongtimeago Sun 09-Oct-16 01:26:00

We got a juicer and juiced them. You can either freeze it, or hear treat it to preserve it.

shovetheholly Mon 10-Oct-16 08:41:19

I process them into unsweetened puree and freeze it in batches.

When my freezer is full, I take them to the Junk Food Project, which is SUCH a great charitable cause. They take gluts and turn them into meals for the community on a pay-as-you-feel basis, (i.e. free for those who are homeless or struggling) all proceeds ploughed back into the project.

therealjunkfoodproject.org/

bookbook Mon 10-Oct-16 08:45:09

Oh, I was just coming on to say juicer and mention the charity shove has linked to! Beaten to it.
I do swap a lot of my produce too. I have lots of pears, so swap with a neighbour with apples smile

shovetheholly Mon 10-Oct-16 08:49:30

Yes, swapping is brilliant! We swap fruit and veg for cat sitting! grin(informally)

Ferguson Tue 11-Oct-16 20:57:38

When I lived in London, near Hampstead Heath, someone used to put a box of windfalls out inviting passers-by to help themselves; with a prominent notice that requested "PLEASE DON'T LET YOUR HORSE SLOBBER OVER THE APPLES."

shovetheholly Wed 12-Oct-16 08:25:19

grin

That is brilliant Ferguson!! Made me laugh out loud.

OhTheRoses Wed 12-Oct-16 08:28:41

Our crop isn't great this year. They go to our local organic cafe.

crazydaisies Wed 12-Oct-16 10:05:01

Thank you for the suggestions. I quite like the idea of donating to food banks etc.
We have two massive old apple trees and couldn't really see ourselves using up the crop on our own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now