Talk

Advanced search

unused space

(5 Posts)
Konyaa Mon 03-Oct-16 20:22:06

We have unused space - concrete, I'd say 2 metres by 1 metre or so just next to our conservatory, not much sun at all. The rain butt stands there. Ay ideas what it could be used for? I was thinking maybe a cold frame....or?

shovetheholly Tue 04-Oct-16 07:17:12

If it doesn't get much sun, a cold frame might not be the best plan (I have one in shade out of necessity and plants tend to struggle a bit). It's a shame because a 2 x 1 m space is kind of ideal size-wise, isn't it, and presumably it gets some shelter from the conservatory too?

I'm trying to think of things that look attractive for you because I guess you don't want to sit in your sun room looking out at rotting compost or leaf mould - what about pots of shade-loving plants?

Konyaa Tue 04-Oct-16 09:01:35

Haha yes, the shade is the real problem. I suppose shade loving plants are good, in containers. Any ideas for plants?

shovetheholly Tue 04-Oct-16 09:29:47

Check out our shade thread!

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/gardening/2441728-Shady-characters-a-permanent-home-for-shade-garden-suggestions

For pots, you might want to avoid the things that like it really wet (unless you are very diligent with the watering can!)

Maybe a mixture of evergreens for year-round interest (fatsia?) and some flowering things (shade-tolerant geraniums?)

You could put pebbles, large and small, around the pots to disguise the concrete and make it look pretty.

Konyaa Tue 04-Oct-16 12:33:08

Fantastic ideas! And the shade thread is lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now