Renovating a garden pond

(5 Posts)
didireallysaythat Sat 24-Sep-16 16:11:56

We have a 1960s rectangular pond (1.2 by 2.5m by who knows how deep) with irises, water mint and one water lily. Only one third has "open" water - the rest is full of plant. With the hot summer the water level has dropped allowing me to see what's going in. I've used a saw to remove about 1/3 of the vegetables (sawing off 15cm sqaures which were about 30cm deep with root and soil). I don't know if I should clear more (I know there are lots of frogs and we have lots of newts in the water end obviously). It doesn't need to be a pristine pond but do I need to remove the 20-30cm of silt in the bottom as well ? And should I wait until winter to do this ? (I've got full arm rubber gloves but I can imagine it would be nicer to do today when it's 20C not when it's 5C).

didireallysaythat Sat 24-Sep-16 16:18:03

Photos ...

JT05 Sun 25-Sep-16 19:33:15

Autumn is the best time, befor any creatures bed down in the mud, for winter. Ours is much shallower and we have just removed a load of vegetation and mud, using a bucket. Put the waste on the side of the pond for a day so that any creatures can escape back into the pond.
We are renovating the bed behind the pond so are using the mud on there.

didireallysaythat Sun 25-Sep-16 20:36:30

Makes sense. I'll start bucketing out the silt. Thank you !

dodobookends Mon 26-Sep-16 20:13:52

If you have newts in the pond then you will have to be really careful as they are protected by law and you aren't allowed to disturb them. Please contact your local wildlife trust and ask their advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now