Talk

Advanced search

Plants for large containers for winter help !!!

(8 Posts)
Sounbelievablydull Tue 06-Sep-16 21:28:26

I,ve got two big modern black containers outside our kitchen doors so we can see them all the time.
The cosmos that I had in them has now finished and I want to put something nice in its place.
Ideally I'm trying to stick with a white and green colour scheme.
Any ideas?

JT05 Tue 06-Sep-16 21:31:37

How about a small fir tree, some variegated ivy and winter pansies. You can always add small bulbs as they come ready to flower in the garden centres, later in the year.

Sounbelievablydull Tue 06-Sep-16 21:53:41

That sounds really nice

shovetheholly Thu 08-Sep-16 15:40:49

If your pots are big enough, I've done a cornus aurea with some variegated ivy, gold lace primulas, and some spring bulbs. I'm hoping it's all lovely and rich reddy-gold all winter/spring

brodchengretchen Thu 08-Sep-16 16:12:56

I would suggest hedera helix 'White Wonder' (Waitrose online have it) underplanted with a white early tulip such as 'White Prince' and filled round with snowdrops, pale hellebores or violas. IMO should look quite striking in a black container if you pick just two or three of those. Or, how about a white and green variegated cordyline on its own such as 'Pink Champagne'?

Btw, if you want to do cosmos again next summer there a some lovely new varieties coming out of Japan such as 'Xanthos' which I think is a real charmer.

Sosidges Thu 08-Sep-16 18:19:12

Sorry to hijack but is there any chance of a photo of your containers and info about where you bought them.

I need 6 and am reluctant to buy on line without help.

fiorentina Thu 08-Sep-16 22:32:01

Last year I bought some small euphorbia and had them in winter pots. I've now replanted but hope to do the same again this year.

Sounbelievablydull Thu 08-Sep-16 22:53:09

Thank you for all the ideas feeling quite excited now about a revamp.
I can post photos bit they were given to me by a friend who moved and didn't want them.
If you like the look I could get the details from her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now