green manure

(5 Posts)
Gatekeeper Mon 05-Sep-16 19:30:41

am thinking about planting a green manur for digging in but not sure which variety to go for. has anyone planted one on here? Which type did you get ?

cheers

Gatekeeper Wed 07-Sep-16 17:52:30

anyone?

bookbook Thu 08-Sep-16 12:48:45

oh hello!
I think it depends what you are needing it for , and for how long. Is it because you cannot get good manure, or is it to protect or help improve the soil?
I grow green manure on my allotment in some areas. I use mine for protecting the soil from loosing nutrients over winter. There are quite a few. I am thinking of Phacelia this year. I used mustard last year. Something that isn't too hard to dig in come spring is important to me smile
this site is full of useful info on when , why and what to sow
green manure

shovetheholly Thu 08-Sep-16 14:46:00

My Dad uses overwintering broad beans, as he always has a bumper crop and has some seed over to dry. Some of them he lefts mature for a crop, others he gets rid of before they flower, using them just as a manure. I might give this a bit of a go this year!

Gatekeeper Sat 10-Sep-16 17:50:13

I don't have access to any manure and my beds could do with a boost.

Just having a look at that site you linked to bookbook- just the job. Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now