Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me what this is please?

(8 Posts)
AGrinWithoutACat Sun 04-Sep-16 10:14:03

I have a this lovely plant in the garden, no idea what it is but this time of year it has shiny black berries that DD is attracted to and I would like to know what it is from a just in case point of view (she gets watched like a hawk and told no before anyone gets concerned)

These pictures taken yesterday - it seems to flower for a long time, then berries that start red and change to black and I do get all 3 stages at once

Any ideas please?

Starman16 Sun 04-Sep-16 10:17:16

I thinks it's Bittersweet:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_dulcamara

Starman16 Sun 04-Sep-16 10:23:47

or possibly another variety of nightshade, as not sure bittersweet berries turn black...but yes certainly don't let your daughter eat them either way!

AGrinWithoutACat Sun 04-Sep-16 10:27:01

That looks like it - will def keep DD away from the berries! Agree that it's prob a variation on it though due to the colour change

It's gorgeous so it will be staying and the birds love it as it has bushed nicely so they can hide from the cars

Thank you smile

VforVienetta Sun 04-Sep-16 10:43:46

Looks like two different plants to me - the first has different leaves and berry stalks to the second and third which is clearly a nightshade (toxic).
Not sure what the first is I'm afraid.

bilbodog Sun 04-Sep-16 11:52:03

The purple flowers are deadly knightshade and both berries and leaves are very toxic especially for children - i wouldnt want in my garden with very young children.

AGrinWithoutACat Sun 04-Sep-16 13:28:32

I know it looks like 2 different plants but it is only one!

Poisonous plants are all over the garden (as are some edible ones) but I am letting the DCs grow up know what is safe, what is not safe and how to treat unknown plants

MyNightWithMaud Sun 04-Sep-16 18:54:54

Couldn't say which, but I agree it is a solanum.

I think your approach to garden safety, with an age-appropriate level of supervision, is the right one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now