Talk

Advanced search

White flowering evergreen climber for a mainly shaded wall

(18 Posts)
atticusclaw2 Fri 02-Sep-16 08:47:09

Am I asking for too much? I would like a flowering climber for the wall of my new kitchen garden. The wall faces east and so in theory would get the morning sun but there are large trees in the way and so it will only get a little for an hour or so. Is there anything that will disguise this ugly wall a bit but also flower?

Oh and I have gravelled the area and so really it needs to do well in a 2ft x 1ft planter (40cm deep).

Not asking for much I know! grin

JT05 Fri 02-Sep-16 09:10:45

Climbing hydrangea might do the trick. It's not evergreen, but the leaves are there most of the year and the stems are thick and interesting. I have an East facing one that does well, although it's not in a planter.

atticusclaw2 Fri 02-Sep-16 09:16:39

Hmm I hadn't thought about a climbing hydrangea? I do love hydrangeas. Will it grow quickly?

Thompson and Morgan is throwing up clematis armandii and honeysuckle?

Backingvocals Fri 02-Sep-16 09:19:57

I have clematis Armandii. It grows like a demon and ticks all your boxes. You have to keep on top of it or it grows out of control. My climbing hydrangea has never flowered in 7 years.

PolterGoose Fri 02-Sep-16 09:21:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

P1nkP0ppy Fri 02-Sep-16 09:23:45

Mine's never flowered either, 10 years now!
I have a climbing rose on a NW facing wall that never gets any sun. It doesn't have a label, bright pink flowers.
Roses will do well in containers if fed and watered well.

atticusclaw2 Fri 02-Sep-16 09:44:06

Roses and wisteria would both be lovely too. I'm not sure the wisteria would get enough sun? The trees around here really are enormous and block out a lot of the light in that area.

ptumbi Fri 02-Sep-16 09:46:41

Lonicera, all the way. Honeysuckle, by any other name - you can get different colour flowers, most are scented. They will scramble really quickly over a wall, don't mind shade;- might need more than a tiny planting box though. Can it not go in the ground?

ReedBunting Fri 02-Sep-16 09:52:06

Climbing hydrangea petiolaris would be perfect.
Clematis armandii too.

atticusclaw2 Fri 02-Sep-16 11:00:59

There's tarmac under the gravel and so nothing can go directly into the ground. I do have a larger 2 foot square planter though that I could use instead which is a foot deep.

PolterGoose Fri 02-Sep-16 11:30:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SunnySomer Fri 02-Sep-16 11:35:20

Our (inherited) garden has been planted with a mix of climbers to provide variety and continuity. There is a flowering hydrangea, wisteria and a couple of climbing roses all jumbled together. (There may be other stuff in the mix - I just haven't found it yet). The combination looks really full and good.

SunnySomer Fri 02-Sep-16 11:37:06

Ps meant to say: they're on west and south facing walls but get almost zero sun due to shadows cast by the house and garden shed

starsinyourpies Fri 02-Sep-16 11:38:05

Another vote for climbing hydrangea, we had one in a similar spot and it was lovely.

atticusclaw2 Fri 02-Sep-16 11:51:12

I do actually have a very established climbing hydrangea elsewhere in the garden. It doesn't seem to grow very much though (but that might just be because its reached its full size.) Wonder whether I could take cuttings?

A mixture sounds like a good idea. Only issue in this particular spot is that I am limited to a planter because of the tarmac under the gravel. It was a very ugly area outside of the kitchen and I'm trying to prettify it.

JT05 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:52:05

I would layer root a climbing hydrangea, rather than take a cutting. It's easy to peg a stem into the ground and wait for the roots to grow.

fiorentina Fri 02-Sep-16 20:46:55

Climbing hydrangea, they do love water though. Or we saw lots
Of trachleospernum in large planters in Rome. We have several here and I love them.

atticusclaw2 Sat 03-Sep-16 09:15:00

Off to the garden centre this morning. DH will be raising his eyebrows at yet more plants appearing, I came home with nine rhododendrons last night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now