Bags of rotted down leaves - not the same as compost ?

(4 Posts)
gingeroots Wed 31-Aug-16 14:23:07

So ..I'm very thrilled with the lovely chocolate like stuff I've got and planning to use on dry shade area .

But is it only a " soil conditioner " ? Good to improve the texture of my clay soil ?

And if it's still wet and not so rotted is it ok to spread on the soil ?

shovetheholly Wed 31-Aug-16 17:23:46

Leaf mould!! Great for your soil, and great for the established plants! I mix mine up with compost to make it go a bit further as a mulch, but if you have loads you can use it just as it is and it looks fantastic. If it's no totally rotted down, you can still use it this way.

You can dig well rotted stuff in as a soil conditioner as well - I think they might label it that way commercially so people don't try to grow seedlings in it raw without mixing with a bit of compost first as it looks confusingly similar to compost. (It's good as part of a potting mix, though).

gingeroots Wed 31-Aug-16 17:43:49

Thanks shove . Hope it does improve my soil .It needs all the help it can get . Though the forget me nots thrive !

shovetheholly Thu 01-Sep-16 07:31:14

It's magic dirt! It won't fail. Though it can take a few years of mulching with it before the soil really goes that perfect consistency (I'm very much still working on this).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now