Talk

Advanced search

A colourful shrub

(6 Posts)
KurriKurri Tue 23-Aug-16 20:01:32

I'd like a small colourful shrub (I have a smallish walled garden - so nothing that grows too high) Ideally I'd like something like a Pyracanthus - flowers for insect and berries for birds - all year interest. But I don't want thorns.

Any suggestions for something that might fit the bill? TIA

Decorhate Tue 23-Aug-16 21:40:13

I like hebes. They are evergreen & flower in the summer and grow to different heights depending on the type. Bees seem to like them.

Ceanothus are also flowering & evergreen & beloved by bees

MachiKoro Tue 23-Aug-16 21:45:19

Buddleia is known as the butterfly bush... but I have to say I don't personally like it very much!
Hydrangeas, a small photinia fraseri "red robin", cytisus, forsythia?

KurriKurri Tue 23-Aug-16 22:53:55

Thank you both - great suggestions - I've had a google - loads of lovely hebes to choose from and the photinia fraseri red Robin is gorgeous.

I have had buddleia in the past - and they definitely attract butterflies - but I think they might be a bit tall and gangly for what I want.

PurpleWithRed Tue 23-Aug-16 22:56:25

Daphne with a scrambling clematis growing through it for summer colour. Smells absolutely gorgeous in early spring, pretty flowers too. Or viburnum carlessei, similar spring fragrance and a good host for a little herbaceous clematis.

shovetheholly Wed 24-Aug-16 09:32:23

I can think of loads of lovely shrubs, but ones with year-round interest is a bit trickier. What about the guelder rose? Lovely flowers, good form and berries in autumn. One of the acers with lovely bark, and colour spring and autumn?

The suggestion I can think of that is closest to your pyracantha idea is cotoneaster- evergreen, flowers beloved by bees, and wonderful berries.Will need training to avoid an ugly form, though. Blue ceanothus is another idea - bees absolutely adore it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now