Talk

Advanced search

What has everyone done in their garden this weekend?

(35 Posts)
BengalCatMum Sun 14-Aug-16 15:53:22

I am potting on Ajugas, Vincas and Euphorbia from some cuttings taken a couple of weeks back.

DP is digging all the weeds out of a border.

Looking for inspiration for other jobs or things people are doing in their gardens?

What else is anyone sowing, dividing, potting on or taking cuttings from?

Lillagroda Sun 14-Aug-16 16:01:02

Tried to rescue it from being away all last week, mostly!

Will be sowing hollyhocks, potting on daisies for next spring, coneflowers and geraniums, and taking fuchsias and argyranthemums cuttings once everything is... rehydrated.

And attacking the lupin aphids. Horrible things are everywhere.

MoonlightMedicine Sun 14-Aug-16 16:02:49

Weeding!!

Dfg15 Sun 14-Aug-16 16:04:46

Nothing ! Should have cut the grass but terrified of the huge spiders in my shed

BengalCatMum Sun 14-Aug-16 16:07:03

Oooo great idea!
<running off to do some argyranthemum cuttings> grin

Lillagroda Sun 14-Aug-16 16:14:36

I do the fuchsias and argys every year. They're so easy and satisfying, plus free plants!

Tinkfromlovejoy Sun 14-Aug-16 16:19:14

I've spent a long time staring at the new roses, trying to work out if they're going to flower much again this year or not. Will go and feed all the roses shortly for the final time this year.

Then I attacked the brassica bed: hand picked off eleventy thousand caterpillars, picked off all the very damaged leaves and liberally sprayed with soapy water. Have rehung the nets but it's not looking great.

The sheep got into the sweet peas and runners yesterday sad not sure if anything much is salvageable. Can't bring myself to look yet.
They got at the sunflowers last month and I was left with 3 out of twenty. Lamb chops every night this week out of spite grin

Going to attack the lemon balm later too, cut back, split the roots and bin at least half. It keeps the flies off the patio it's next to a treat though. Also splitting some hardy geraniums and campanula to fill in some gaps for next year.

BengalCatMum Sun 14-Aug-16 16:25:55

I've spent a long time staring at the new roses, grin hahaha classic
Ooo interesting about the lemon balm and flies.
Dividing geraniums sounds great idea too grin

lilla
Just went to check out the argys, are you taking the little new leafy shoots coming from base of some stems? and do you use cutting powder or just shove them in? grin

lasttimeround Sun 14-Aug-16 16:51:30

Decided the wildflower meadow was done and chopped it out. Planning to put in lawn chamomile of which I have a happy clump despite fairly wet conditions. Wondered about buying penstemonsome at garden centre but decided I'm too tight and will try to grow next year's perennials from seed. Big challenge I've not done that before.
Cleaned the bastarding decking. Not at all convinced the decking stripper did anything at all. Plus it only covered half. I'm going to clean the rest with brush and hose and have a look at it once dry. Hopefully it'll do. I can't wait to replace it with some paving - nice paving bit no more of this wood malarkey.

Lillagroda Sun 14-Aug-16 16:55:35

I don't bother with cutting powder - mainly because I keep losing mine grin - but they need to stay nice and humid for a while, they don't root super fast. And yes, that's the stuff, nice new tender shoots, I take most of the leaves off, just leave a little tuft at the top.

BengalCatMum Sun 14-Aug-16 17:46:19

lilla
Thanks for advice! After an hour searching round for the propagator bottoms; I just got two trays out of the Argys, did one with cutting soil, one with Jacks Magic so we will see whats best grin Seemed quite easy and some even had little tiny white roots on, so am feeling quite positive about those ones.

* grow next year's perennials from seed. Big challenge I've not done that before*
Dont worry last; its not that hard, they either all come up or none at all. Its quite addictive actually; I like to call it 'healthy gambling' grin

On another note... just went to check on DPs weeding and turns out he's decided to pull everything out the bed shock Luckily he's repotted all the goodies and now its a good excuse for a redesign; otherwise I might have cried grin

Lillagroda Sun 14-Aug-16 19:19:05

Just gave the whole garden a second watering now that it is in the shade until sunrise. I never water - that's how bad it was...
I have this coming week off at home as well so will have a thorough look at what's made it and what hasn't tomorrow once it's all soaked in overnight - as well as the aforementioned sowing and taking of cuttings.

Mr Lilla thinks we're doing DIY this week Muttley laugh

Tink I came home from hols to kale lace. Pretty but not productive. Nothing for it but to pull them up I guess.

LineyReborn Sun 14-Aug-16 19:24:01

Replacing the patio area. It's too hot for this crazy nonsense...

JT05 Sun 14-Aug-16 20:22:53

Zilch! Helped on summer community activities! But tomorrow, cutting back the rampant honey suckle, deadheading and tidying laurel.

curlywillow Sun 14-Aug-16 20:24:41

We shifted 6 tons of gravel and have created a kitchen garden area with raised beds. I'm completely knackered.

mineofuselessinformation Sun 14-Aug-16 20:33:19

I've finally got round to putting up some vine eyes and wire for my climbing roses don't ask me how long they've been in! blush
I also got the hedge trimmers out and tackled - over three days - the shrubs that are in a piece of land I own, but can't see from my house, so tend to leave until I make the effort to go and look.
I have plans to re-vamp my front (tiny) garden so dogs can't shit in it, and then attempt to re-do the back, but those will all have to wait a while!

Weeditandreap Sun 14-Aug-16 20:38:41

Mowed the 'lawn'<hollow laugh>
Weeded one and a half borders
Dug out half a border and tidied up a rampant geranium and cut back an overgrown cornus.
Removed grass cuttings and leaves from the little pond and spotted several tiny newts - exciting!

Dfg15 I just grab the lawnmower and run grin

mineofuselessinformation Sun 14-Aug-16 20:42:47

Weedit, I run the mower over mine and put nice stripes on the weeds! smile

SecretMongoose Sun 14-Aug-16 20:47:29

Oooh, I'm a total novice gardener but we acquired a huge garden when we moved in our house last year. Mostly we've just ignored it this year but actually got out and mowed and weeded everything today. And I have a very rampant honeysuckle, i pondered cutting it back but had no idea where to start so I left it. What should I be doing with it?

JT05 Sun 14-Aug-16 20:55:27

Honeysuckle is bomb proof and will swallow up everything in its way!
I cut mine back now as the flowers fade. There is still time for a few stems to bloom. Then in the Autumn give it a good hack!

funnyperson Mon 15-Aug-16 02:46:20

Watering. Weeding. Deadheading. Pruning back the dogwood to let some light onto the rose and azalea beneath.
Sitting.
Identifying what cuttings to take and where to plant the plants in the q.

ClarkL Mon 15-Aug-16 09:35:38

We started building my new greenhouse. Purchased 3 months ago. We opened the box stared in disgust and ignored. It took 5 hours yesterday and it still isn't bloody finished. Its like a giant sick mechano set written in Russian and out to destroy me.
Today however is a good day because we are finally having our 2 plum trees removed (diseased and dropping millions of deformed plums and leaves)

BengalCatMum Mon 15-Aug-16 17:19:53

Its like a giant sick mechano set written in Russian and out to destroy me.
grin hahah I love these similes/ metaphors on here

Today I have been planning what we are going to replace DPs weeding destruction of a whole bed in our garden with.

lasttimeround Mon 15-Aug-16 20:02:24

Oh joy of joys found some reduced but good condition shrubs at the range and have planted them. If weather holds for a few weeks they'll be all set for a nice spring growth spurt and I won't be annoyed that I wasted this summer on annuals when the garden really needs some structure. Honeysuckle forsythia and (hides) a buddleja.

Sooverthis Tue 16-Aug-16 08:38:45

I've fed all the roses planted more onions, leeks and peas cut back loads of perennials split and moved a couple that weren't happy and planted gambled foxhole, sweet William and pansy seeds. Dh has revamped compost corner turned the big compost bed soaked it emptied and the small bin into usable containers so I can start filling that one now. Am picking percentages as the ripen and drying cherry tomatoes in the dehydrator. My cut flowers are fab at the moment. Zinnias grown from seed dahlias and gerberas (sp?) All been great this year after an early and harshly fought slug war.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now