Talk

Advanced search

Moving rose bushes

(12 Posts)
theothersideoftheworld Wed 10-Aug-16 20:19:23

We've just moved back into our house after being away for 2 years. Before I left I planted 4 rose bushes which have really taken off.
One however, has grown so well it's overwhelming the one next to it so I really need to move one of them.
When is the best time to move a rose bush? Can I do it when it's in flower? Is there anything I need to do specifically?
Thanks.

Liara Wed 10-Aug-16 21:01:48

Best time to do it is in the winter, when they are dormant. December-February. They do have very deep roots so it can be a bit risky if they are very well established, so I would always move the smaller one if you can.

theothersideoftheworld Wed 10-Aug-16 21:50:07

Thanks. The one being overtaken is definitely smaller. I will wait until winter then and prune it first?

BluePitchFork Wed 10-Aug-16 21:52:41

yes prune it right back, new compost+fertiliser and it should take off again next spring.
roses are pretty resiliant.

theothersideoftheworld Wed 10-Aug-16 22:04:14

Great. Thanks.

panegyricS1 Wed 10-Aug-16 22:06:35

I made the mistake of moving our rose bush a few weeks ago. I wish I'd seen the advice ^^ to leave it until December.

theothersideoftheworld Wed 10-Aug-16 22:38:04

Has it died? I was going to move it now but I will wait.

panegyricS1 Wed 10-Aug-16 22:46:53

It has. I felt pretty awful because it was a gift.

theothersideoftheworld Thu 11-Aug-16 06:06:56

You weren't to know. Maybe replace it with another?

panegyricS1 Thu 11-Aug-16 18:17:15

I think I will. I love roses.

Kr1stina Thu 11-Aug-16 23:22:59

If will be far more upset by being moved now that it will by being squished by the plant next to it . Leave until the winter . You can cut it back a bit now if you really need to

theothersideoftheworld Fri 12-Aug-16 05:56:45

No I don't need to cut it back yet, but the bush next to it has gone on a mad growing frenzy so it will definitely need moving in the winter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now