Talk

Advanced search

Am I overreacting? Should I cut down this laburnum?

(6 Posts)
Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 10-Aug-16 08:51:48

It's growing through our patio (so can't replace it) and does look pretty, especially in the spring with lovely yellow flowers. BUT it is very poisonous and has highly toxic seed pods. I have a baby who puts literally everything in her mouth. It's terrifying.

I am wondering if I get rid of it maybe I could get an enormous container and put an apple tree or something in it maybe it would sort of replace it!?

Massive overreaction or sensible steps?

lasttimeround Wed 10-Aug-16 09:51:05

Hard to say this is first result on Google but I imagine you've already seen it. www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/laburnum_anagyroides.htm
I'm planning on having one out front as they are beautiful. Could you relocate it to a bit where your children don't play?

MadSprocker Wed 10-Aug-16 10:11:00

I would get rid of it personally.

JT05 Wed 10-Aug-16 12:14:59

I would get rid of it. Apart from the poisonous nature, it really doesn't look right in your garden. There are plenty more pretty non poisonous shrubs and trees. A container grown fruit tree would be good.

Finelinebetweenchaos Wed 10-Aug-16 13:08:35

Thanks! Can't relocate it as it is buried in concrete of our patio. At the moment it showers poisonous seeds onto the steps and lawn where the children play. We have a small garden so We don't have a lot of options. I think it is going to go and we will get an apple tree in a pot

MrsHulk Wed 10-Aug-16 13:18:24

I'd get rid of it. It's taking up a lot of space as well as being poisonous. We had one growing up and it meant my younger sibling couldn't be in the garden without one of us watching their every move

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now