Talk

Advanced search

front garden query - plant recommendations

(11 Posts)
SarfEast1cated Sun 07-Aug-16 11:16:56

Hi all, sorry for bombarding you all with questions, but we are hopefully moving to a new garden soon (plus adjacent house!). It has a terraced back garden, but nice front garden with picket fence.
I would like to make the front garden cottage garden-y and would like to include peony, rose, hydrangea, lavender, daphne maybe with a jasmine in a pot, but am wondering about a nice ornamental tree as well. I'd like blossom and nice bark if poss, and it would be lovely to be able to eat the fruit, but that might be asking for too much!
I've attached a photo from t'internet so you can see it's quite small...
What do you think? do you have any beatiful CG plants I have overlooked? I want to have agapanthas at the very front peeking through the fence..
Thanks in advance

SarfEast1cated Sun 07-Aug-16 11:17:35

Picture this time smile

JT05 Sun 07-Aug-16 17:12:56

Whatever you choose I'd try to make sure there is interesting texture, something flowering all year round.

JT05 Sun 07-Aug-16 17:17:12

Sorry that was a bit short and not very helpful re plants. Amelanchier are shrubs that have interest all year and would look nice for structure, winter Jasmine and of course spring bulbs.

Agapanthus can be very difficult to grow. Japanese anemone are pretty and quite tough so could look lovely peeking through the fence.

SarfEast1cated Sun 07-Aug-16 18:01:53

I've never heard of an Amelanchier so thanks for that - look very nice...

I appear to be a bit of an Agapanthus expert then as they grow really easily in my pots and have selfseeded around the garden <preens>.

I do like the Japanese anemones though, so thanks for the suggestion. I will add bulbs - good idea - there are a lot of bluebells in the gardens round here, so might find I have some of those too!

I have to remember that it is a pretty small space though, but will look up which shrubs flower in early summer. I might pop a little bird bath in too.

Can you tell I'm getting over-excited!

JT05 Sun 07-Aug-16 18:59:40

I envy your Agapanthus!

GrouchyKiwi Sun 07-Aug-16 19:04:53

I was going to suggest Amelanchier as well.

Kwirrell Sun 07-Aug-16 20:37:18

Please tell me you live near East London. Today in the garden I was wishing I knew someone who wanted some of my Japanee Anenomes. They are lovely, but taking over.

SarfEast1cated Sun 07-Aug-16 21:47:30

I was in Mile End today smile But we haven't moved in yet, so it could be a little previous of me!

DoreenLethal Sun 07-Aug-16 21:56:06

I was also going to mention Amelanchier and Japanese Anenomes, we have an underplanting of Aubretia and Big Alliums under the Anenomes; and around our Amelanchier there are Lavenders, Bergamot, Lychnis and Hellebores and Heucheras. My main bit of advice would be to decide on your colour scheme and base the planting around that - ours is purples, blues, yellows and whites with reds in the summer.

funnyperson Sun 07-Aug-16 22:38:00

Scented stuff like trachelospermum jasminoides in summer and sarcococca in winter - its very nice when walking in and out and also wafts scent in through the front door
Agapanthus are also good, and nerines for later on
In fact the bulb year goes thus:
snowdrops, crocuses, hyacinths tulips bluebells irises camassia alliums lilies agapanthus nerines cyclamen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now