Old lavenders

(7 Posts)
DangerQuakeRhinoSnake Sat 06-Aug-16 10:39:24

I have two large old woody lavenders and they look amazing from the front (and attract loads of bees and butterflies) but are an eyesore from the back where you can see them from the house. All the blooms face one way iyswim.

I'd like to move them but I've been told they can't be moved as they'll die. Is this always true? I'd really like to relocate them rather than kill them (and unfortunately they can't stay where they are).

GraciesMansion Sat 06-Aug-16 10:50:12

We've moved lavender a couple of times without any problems, didn't know you weren't supposed to!

DangerQuakeRhinoSnake Sat 06-Aug-16 12:15:50

That sounds promising! About how large were they can you remember?

AnotherPrickInTheWall Sat 06-Aug-16 12:24:16

If they are old and woody, I wouldn't bother. Just take lots of cuttings or buy new plants. Nothing lasts forever..

DangerQuakeRhinoSnake Sat 06-Aug-16 12:42:50

Have you any advice on taking cuttings please ? That sounds like a good compromise as then the plants would live on but not in their current form.

P1nkP0ppy Sat 06-Aug-16 12:51:17

Cuttings are easy, take 4-6" non-flowering shoots, dip in rooting powder/gel, put around the edges of pots containing compost+grit or vermiculite, water well, cover with a plastic bag (kept away from the cuttings) and put in a greenhouse or shady spot.

I did three dozen last autumn and they all rooted.

DangerQuakeRhinoSnake Sat 06-Aug-16 20:30:24

Thanks Poppy, I'll give it a try!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now