Talk

Advanced search

Shallow flower bed

(13 Posts)
Colette Sun 31-Jul-16 14:44:42

I have a small back garden - 2/3 covered in ugly slabs (future project costing too much £ at the moment ). Running down side of the garage is a flower bed that I have haphazardly filled with cuttings, seeds and spring bulbs.TBH it is a mess except for some pink mallow and perenial sweetpeas that I have pared right back. .

I decided to dig it up (except for mallow , sweetpeas and a few lupins) and add potting compost .after a lot of digging I have found it is really shallow eg. less than a foot to brickwork base. So I'm not sure if I should treat it like a big pot ? I'm amateur , lived in a flat previously and don't have loads of time but really enjoy looking out at some colour .
It is in sun part of the day and taller plants tend to lean away from the garage. We are in Scotland as well !
I can try and add a picture if that would help. Would love advice on soil, what plants to put in .
thanks

Colette Sun 31-Jul-16 15:03:26

Please see photo of dry unloved flowerbed with attractive slug trailshmm

Colette Sun 31-Jul-16 15:07:21

Colette Sun 31-Jul-16 15:09:46

JT05 Sun 31-Jul-16 16:03:52

As it's the garage and not the house ( I'm assuming it's detached from the house ) you could treat it like a raised bed and put a stone, brick or sleeper surround and infill with compost.

Obvious not a good idea if it's part of the house with a damp course. Other than that, low growing ground covering plants. If you put in some eracacious compost you could plant heathers.

Colette Sun 31-Jul-16 16:36:20

Thanks JY05.yes it is freestanding. hasn't thought of building up the sides, like that idea.
Think I will put some ground covering plants initially. Front garden soil is acidic I think, could mix some of that in with compost ? Thanks for the ideas

redhat Sun 31-Jul-16 16:38:11

Don't build it up beyond the DPC line though otherwise you could have problems.

JT05 Sun 31-Jul-16 18:41:20

Posted but it seems to have vanished! Here goes again.

As its not part of the house you could put a moisture barrier (plastic) at the back so the garage wall does not get wet.

I would not use front garden soil, as you are in danger of transferring weeds. Garden centres have bags of soil improver and eracacious compost at about £6 for 40 litres.

PolterGoose Sun 31-Jul-16 18:54:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Colette Sun 31-Jul-16 19:30:24

Thanks for advice re transferring buddleia- and plant suggestions, have enough battles in front garden with them already. interesting re.buddleia- dug full size buddleia out as was taking over, I didn't know you could get dwarf ones. smile

Colette Sun 31-Jul-16 19:31:58

Sorry meant 'transferring soil'

PolterGoose Sun 31-Jul-16 19:33:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Colette Sun 31-Jul-16 21:39:38

Thanks , they would look good with the geraniums too .quite excited now !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now