Does anyone know what's eating my pak choi?

(6 Posts)
Antaresisastar Thu 28-Jul-16 11:18:05

The leaves are full of holes, is there anything I can do or should I just pull them up?

FarsleyLass Fri 29-Jul-16 06:41:18

Flea Beetle, I have them too and difficult to get rid of. Sometimes if you leave the plant alone the middle leaves are not touched by them and look ok. Leaves are still ok to eat but maje sure you wash them in salty water.
Here is what the RHS say
www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=510

Antaresisastar Fri 29-Jul-16 14:02:14

Thank you Farsley Lass, will wait and watch for a while.

Hiahia Fri 29-Jul-16 15:35:51

It's so annoying. Rendering useless all my come again leaves and rocket. However the lettuces that were planted as rather large seedlings are fine. Do they also usually attack lettuces?

Antaresisastar Fri 29-Jul-16 17:22:10

Hiahia, they also attacked my radishes, but not until the bulbs had swelled, so they were edible, no sign of their damage on the lettuce or the Chard. My pak choi was planted as seedlings, the seedlings were outside for ages and weren't nibbled.
This is my first year of growing veg, so I expected it to be a learning curve, the words "brassica cage" gave me the chills, but perhaps now I know why these things need protecting! Will a v fine mesh cage keep these buggers out though? Perhaps someone with a lot more experience can advise?

FarsleyLass Fri 29-Jul-16 22:45:15

As i understand it flea beetle live in the soil and are really annoying as mesh does not keep them off. They attack brassica so lettuce are not attacked. I find they only attack pak choi and radish my cabbages they leave alone. With radish they eat the leaves but not the bulbs which is good news as I really enjoy radish.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now