Talk

Advanced search

Annoyed at myself

(6 Posts)
BITCAT Tue 26-Jul-16 18:09:08

Have you ever started something thinking you could do it and wish you hadn't done it? So frustrated today. I thought I would attempt laying slabs with my 17 year old son and it just was not going well. I can't seem to get them level. So annoyed with myself.

MotherFuckingChainsaw Tue 26-Jul-16 18:23:35

How are you attempting to lay them OP?

Whatever you do don't use mortar dabs, get a good firm level base by screeding

[http://www.davesdiytips.com/2009/02/laying-flags-or-decorative-paving/]

Laying is pretty near impossible unless you have a level base prepared before you start to lay

BITCAT Tue 26-Jul-16 18:45:57

I have laid hardcore down. And using a mix of sand and cement. I'm not using dabs either I'm using a full mor tar bed.

MotherFuckingChainsaw Tue 26-Jul-16 19:12:01

Ok, that s the best way by far.

It still isn't totally plain sailing tho. Laying paving takes practice as well as having the knowledge.

But all isn't lost, if it is not right lift and stack the pavers for tonight. Scrape off the top inch or two of your mix. This means that you won't have to start over completely but can just top back up to level and screed with fresh mix once the stuff underneath has gone off.

You can then leave it overnight, or as long as you want.

Main causes of their being off level are
Badly prepared bed
Corners digging in/ poor laying technique
Standing on them as you lay

The big thing with laying is once you have prepared the bed, don't walk on it (use planks) and be super careful that you don't dig the corners of the pavers in as you lay. Allow them to drop as flat as possible into the bed.
This bit is hardest to get right it's really easy to flop them down unevenly.

Tap down gently and evenly Check in both directions that they are level before moving on to the next. If they are uneven gently tap on the high corner if that doesn't work carefully tuck some mix under the low corner.. If it still isn't right, lift, adjust screed and relay.

Work off planks if the pavers are small if they are big more than 400x400mm) then you can stand on them to work but only if you Stand in the EXACT centre of each one.

BITCAT Tue 26-Jul-16 20:26:07

Many thanks for the advice. It started raining here so I've left it for tonight and going to start afresh tomorrow. I was getting so frustrated with myself. I'm not one who likes asking for help

MotherFuckingChainsaw Tue 26-Jul-16 22:14:15

Good plan

I was taught well, and had loads of practice ( did it as part of my job for years) and I still get frustrated as I'm now not as fast as I was

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now