Talk

Advanced search

Deadly nightshade?

(10 Posts)
ilikepinacoladas Sun 24-Jul-16 19:44:12

Hello a family member had visited and told us that the plant in the photo attached is deadly nightshade. We have a toddler and quite a few dotted around the garden. Before we go on a hunt I thought i would the identification with you lovely people smile

ilikepinacoladas Sun 24-Jul-16 19:45:42

*has visited
*i would check the identifcation

Sorry for not proof reading

BluePitchFork Sun 24-Jul-16 19:48:34

sorry I don't know this plant. but I taught my dc 'no picking no licking' from when they were toddlers.

most uk plants however are emetic - they taste horrible and make you vomit.

DoreenLethal Sun 24-Jul-16 19:48:58

Honeysuckle i think. Cant googlw for you.

Either that or hypericum.

DoreenLethal Sun 24-Jul-16 19:51:09

Hypericum.

deepdarkwood Sun 24-Jul-16 19:53:56

Thats a bush not a climber, right? In which case it's definitely not nightshade (or honeysuckle) It's a very common garden bush but I can't remember the name ... But equally not an edible berry :-)

ilikepinacoladas Sun 24-Jul-16 19:57:01

Thankyou very much, it is definitely hypericum. Wiki tells me that the berries are poisonous though so still coming out. Thanks again smile

ILoveBedSocks Sun 24-Jul-16 19:58:24

Hypericum/St John's Wort.

Autumnchill Sun 24-Jul-16 20:00:06

Definitely Hypericum

MyNightWithMaud Mon 25-Jul-16 22:04:58

Definitely hypericum. Your relative needs to stop handing out bad advice on (mis)identifying toxic plants - if they've told you this is deadly nightshade I dread to think what they might have said is harmless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now