can i just dog a fushia up

(3 Posts)
pud1 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:03:24

i have got a fushia growing in my garden near a fence. it is not flowering and looks worse for wear. i want to get rid of it as it is right in the middle of a new flower bed i am planning.
i am very new to gardening. do i just need to cut it down then go at it with a spade to get the roots up. i know this is probably a stupid question but i get the feelong i am going to be starting something thats going to turn into a nightmare. its about 5 foot across and 3 foot high

CuttedUpPear Mon 25-Jul-16 08:24:21

Fuchsias take very easily from cuttings so my advice would be to take some cuttings before trying to move it. That way you'll have replacement plants if you kill the main plant.

Cut a section of a branch about 6 inches long. Make sure that you have at least two pairs of leaves growing from it once you have removed the soft growing tip. The more woody the cutting, the better.

Remove the bottom set of leaves and push the cutting into a pot of fine compost.
Keep it moist. Some people like to pop a clear plastic bag over the cuttings to create a humid atmosphere, which can help. This should be secured with a rubber band round the pot. Leave this on for the first few weeks.

It's best to take several cuttings in case of failure, put three per pot and you can separate them later if they all take.

In terms of moving the main plant, now is not a good time of year to do it, autumn or spring would be better.

However if you really need it moved I would recommend trimming the whole plant back of new growth and dig it up with as much soil attached to the roots as possible.

Have your new planting hole ready prepared and water the hole before putting the plant in.

Pop your pruned plant into the hole, backfill it with soil and compost and make sure it's kept well watered for the next few weeks and especially if the weather is warm.

It's unlikely that you'll get any flowers off it this year.

CuttedUpPear Mon 25-Jul-16 08:28:42

Sorry I didn't say that with your cuttings you should be pushing the stem down into the compost so that the place where you have removed the leaves is well under the soil and you have one pair of leaves above the soil.

When pruning the main plant take it down to about half its present size and try to keep as many roots intact as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now