New gravel drive problems - please help

(7 Posts)
Soon2bC Wed 20-Jul-16 08:52:45

So I have proudly dug out the blasted leyllandi and taken off the turf laid weed suppressant matting and put down gravel and created a beautiful gravel drive/parking space in the front garden. This morning my OH got in her car and went to pull away resulting in spectacular wheel spins and no movement of the car.
I read that gravel may be too deep but I don't think it is that
the drive is on a slight slope and car is front wheel drive and it was front wheels that dug out all the gravel the weed matting and then got pushed off the drive by me in PJs and flip flops. does anyone have any hints or tips to help me?

Madbengalmum Wed 20-Jul-16 08:58:52

Did you use a wacker plate on the hardcore base?

Soon2bC Wed 20-Jul-16 10:11:00

i compacted it by hand (think sledgehammer dropped on metal plate) as i couldnt afford to hire one and they scare me!!! the ground where it is spinning however is rock solid

Madbengalmum Wed 20-Jul-16 17:22:35

Well if it is compacted enough, then i would say there is too much gravel, this is the most common cause of sinking cars when the gravel has not compacted. You dont need a thick covering to start and have problems.

Soon2bC Thu 21-Jul-16 09:53:35

thank you i will remove some tonight and see how i get on smile

Soon2bC Sun 07-Aug-16 08:15:35

Just wanted to say thank you. Finally got the gravel off the drive and started again. Reused half the gravel on the borders and drive is now fully functional as well as the edges looking fab!!! So thanks Mad

gingeroots Mon 08-Aug-16 09:14:20

wow - in awe of all the hard labour that must have involved !

so glad you got it sorted .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now