Talk

Advanced search

Help with these roses?

(4 Posts)
PlayingGrownUp Sat 16-Jul-16 20:46:54

For the first time in my life I have a garden and I am stumped. So these roses . . Does anyone know if they have a type. Is it just me or are the massive and what can I do to look after them?

PlayingGrownUp Sat 16-Jul-16 20:49:57

Or these ones? Not even sure if these are roses.

JT05 Sun 17-Jul-16 00:01:11

The first one is a Floribundas rose. Looks lovely, if a little untidy. I'd just dead head the faded roses, for now and then when it has finished flowering in the Autumn give it a good prune to open up the centre.
The second looks like a climbing rose, with nowhere to climb! This might be repeat flowering. If it is then do the same for the other one. If it does not produce any more flowers then you can prune it after they all fade. Either way it looks like it could do with some support.
Difficult to tell what particular roses they are, from photos. Hope this helps, but I'm not a rose expert!

handslikecowstits Sun 17-Jul-16 11:54:53

The first one needs pruning to open it up and allow the air to flow through it (this will help reduce the likelihood of fungal diseases taking hold). Wait until winter to do this as you'll then be able to see the structure without the leaves. Prune out the weak, thin branches to leave a good structure and anything that looks dead or diseased. I'd remove the grass that's closest to it to give a diameter of about 50cm around the rose. The grass will compete with the rose in my experience so you don't want it too close. Give it a good feed in spring (I use Toprose) and then later in the season and keep deadheading to encourage more flowers.

As JT05 has said the second rose looks like a climber with nothing to climb or it could be a shrub rose with a lax habit. If you want it to climb you'll need a fence, trellis etc or wait until it is dormant in winter and move it. If you do grow it up something tie the branches using soft twine or similar horizontally to encourage sideshoots which will produce the flowers.

As for pruning it, cut back any thin, diseased, dead, damaged or spindly growth in winter but don't cut the good strong branches back hard just trim if they look a bit weak, remove the grass as above and feed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now