Help please!Tall trees for hiding neighbouring building

(6 Posts)
MeInHoney86 Thu 14-Jul-16 18:23:41

Hi all,I'm a complete gardening novice but have recently bought a lovely house which has an agricultural building at the end of a very long garden.We don't have much money left for doing up the garden but are desperate to hide the shed! It covers the end of our garden and over past both neighbours gardens. It's about 18ft high (guessing by the hight of our fence!) and has luckily been painted dark green so is not too bad but we would love to grow some tall trees in front of it.
My question is what trees should we buy ?needs to be as cheap as poss and relatively quick growing. Also the end of the garden gets barely any sunlight due to the shed so would it be better to plant them further towards the house where it is always sunny ?

MeInHoney86 Thu 14-Jul-16 18:24:17

Thank you in advance!

JT05 Fri 15-Jul-16 00:20:53

Laurel is a bush, but can grow quite high if not pruned, and is quite cheap.
Please avoid Leylandi!

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Fri 15-Jul-16 00:56:34

I think, as your garden is long, rather than planting a solid line of trees to hide the shed, it would be more visually interesting to plant a few different trees at various distances from the end of your garden. The shed wouldn't be completely hidden but it would be visually 'interrupted' by your planting so it would fade into the background. Perhaps a buddleja and/or a lilac near the end of the garden, they fill out quite quickly and produce a lot of flowers. Something like a couple of silver birches set off-centre and not right at the bottom would look lovely with a dark green background behind them, it would highlight the silvery bark better than clear sky would. Similarly, anything with red foliage would stand out nicely against dark green, a copper beech for instance or a rowan with nice red or yellow berries.

Go for different heights and different textures and not all lined up as though you are trying to hide the building, that would probably be more likely to draw your eye towards it.

dodobookends Fri 15-Jul-16 14:03:19

The thing with fast-growing trees is that they keep on growing and don't know when to stop!

MeInHoney86 Fri 15-Jul-16 20:36:13

dodo yes that may be an issue!
black thank you I hadn't thought about staggering the trees so they aren't all in one line drawing attention to the shed!great idea will do that. Will look at those trees.
Thank you !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now