Dream house, but...loads of tall trees in the garden...what to do?!

(28 Posts)
lolacola1977 Sun 10-Jul-16 22:10:51

So...we have found a really lovely house with a big (100 ft), west-facing garden, the only snag is it has loads of v. tall trees (I would guess some of them are about 30 ft) both in our garden and the garden next door which means even on a sunny day, the garden feels v. shady. We are only really moving for a garden (have a concrete patio at the moment), and although I am not against trees per se, I just wondered what people's thoughts are - I am not a big sun-bather, but like the idea of a glass of wine in the sunshine from time to time...anyone else with a garden filled with trees? Would love to hear your thoughts on advantages / disadvantages...we have 2 kids who will use it a LOT. Thanks!

ILoveDolly Sun 10-Jul-16 22:20:38

We had to have a tree cut down for safety reasons and it cost over 1K. Learn to love the trees grin

lolacola1977 Sun 10-Jul-16 22:31:23

Are you allowed to remove them? Is there a way of finding out if they are protected or not..?

CocktailQueen Sun 10-Jul-16 22:33:12

What kind are thry? We moved into a house with huge leylandii. Hedges round it.,had loads taken out and it has transformed the garden. I'd contact a local landscaping company and see what they say.

PurpleWithRed Sun 10-Jul-16 22:36:39

Check out tree protection orders with the local council. See what you can take out, but be aware of the cost and the difficulty of dealing with what you at left with (stumps/stump grinding/depleted soil). But may well be worth the investment.

Lighteningirll Sun 10-Jul-16 22:36:44

I had a huge willow taken out of my garden as it was affecting the foundations of the house it transformed the garden did cost £700 tho and two years later there's still a bare patch.

lolacola1977 Sun 10-Jul-16 22:50:14

arggh, just noticed it's in a conservation area, which I assume means I can't just take one of them down?

JT05 Mon 11-Jul-16 00:30:47

We have just sold a house with 6 large silver birches along one side that gave lovely dappled shade in the summer. The garden backing onto us had an oak with a TPO and at the bottom of our drive was a huge Ash, belonging to the neighbour.
They all caused problems when we came to sell the house. Not to mention the huge amount of leaves we had to clear up every winter. We have moved to a house with no big trees in the garden or next door!

LyndaNotLinda Mon 11-Jul-16 00:45:48

If there's TPOs on the trees, that should come up in the search. Just because you're in a conservation area doesn't necessarily mean the trees have TPOs on them though.

moomin11 Mon 11-Jul-16 00:52:03

True but you will still need the council's permission to carry out work to trees in a conservation area.

moomin11 Mon 11-Jul-16 00:54:26

www.trees.org.uk/Help-Advice/Public/A-brief-guide-to-legislation-for-trees

Kr1stina Mon 11-Jul-16 09:33:52

Lola - you need more information about what types of trees they are, so you know the ultimate height , how close they are to the house and boundary walls etc

A tree surgeon will be able to advise on all of this, as well as how you can keep some trees but get more light by lifting and thinning the crowns . And give you an idea of the costs involved .

If you are getting any removed, you want them to grind the stumps too, so you can use the ground for grass or plants . Mention this because it costs extra .

lolacola1977 Mon 11-Jul-16 12:03:45

Thanks for all your input...the question is, do we go for it, or let it go because of the trees!

Kr1stina Mon 11-Jul-16 17:14:38

Well that depends on how much you like the house otherwise and how much it woudl cost to sort out the " tree problem " and turn it into a " tree advantage " .

Most houses you buy will have something that you don't like that takes time and money to fix

HeadDreamer Mon 11-Jul-16 17:19:10

It depends on whether you can cut the tree down isn't it? Mine has 3 large trees and we got rid of them for £300. Others here quoted about £1k. In the large scheme of things they aren't that much compared to the cost of a house. So the main question is, if you don't want them, can you get rid of them?

Ask your lawyers about tree preservation orders.

wowfudge Mon 11-Jul-16 21:15:17

We have loads of trees and large shrubs too - the only issue we have is that they shade a couple of downstairs rooms, not the main living space, continually which means the rooms can be chilly.

lolacola1977 Tue 12-Jul-16 11:02:38

I happen to know a tree surgeon quite well and he said that reducing the canopy is a good way of going about it, without cutting the tree down completely, I think I could also persuade our nearest neighbour to do that, if we offered to pay! Thanks for your input...the next question is, how low do we offer given Brexit....?!

Tuiles Tue 12-Jul-16 11:13:23

We have a south facing garden that is overshadowed by many large mature pines and oaks - and I hate it. Growing anything is a struggle, and the shade tolerant plants that do grow are boring. We get a bit of sun on the patio so any flowers and veg I have all grow in pots (doesnt stop the bastard slugs though). The lawn is mostly moss. The pine trees constantly drop 'stuff' over everything, especially my washing. Any surface eventually gets covered in layers of green slime - I spend forever wiping stuff down or taking patio furniture out then putting it away). In the autumn it is soul destroying dealing with the leaves. And to top it all off the trees encourage endless 'vermin' - the fattest squirrels known to man, magpies and crows, currently being driven mad by a baby woodpecker that squeaks for hours, noisy owls at night and a stinky old Badger that grubs up our lawn and digs under every fence.

We are currently looking for a new house, and a sunny garden is pretty much my no.1 priority!!!!

lolacola1977 Tue 12-Jul-16 11:25:45

Oh no Tuiles, that sounds dreadful! Argh, maybe I need to take another look...! Out of interest, what are your Brexit thoughts / property prices?

P1nkP0ppy Tue 12-Jul-16 11:31:49

Until recently our small back garden was shaded by hideous ash tres. I hated them with a vengeance, ful of insects that bit and I would sweep up a minimum of 30 bags of leaves every autumn. Nothing would grow in the borders either.
Personally I would never buy another house near huge trees. I don't mind the bird life but loathed the sodding trees.

trafalgargal Tue 12-Jul-16 11:39:18

I've just waved bye bye to the tree man about an hour ago.

We wanted to get rid of the tree for ages but OH was convinced it'd be over a thousand as it was so big. We contacted a local company that specializes in tree removal . They quoted a very modest I thought £350 - did a fantastic job - they were quick , clean and tidy (and eye candy too) and removed an annoying hedge for no extra cost. Considering we're in the South East I think it was a great deal especially as they brought a shredder and removed and shredded everything..
Garden looks bigger and brighter without our twenty foot monster..

lolacola1977 Tue 12-Jul-16 13:15:29

Am going to go back this evening and analyse the tree situation!

HyruleWarrior Wed 13-Jul-16 19:01:31

My last house had a garden full of trees, mostly conifers. I couldn't plant anything or dig the garden over properly because of the roots. My neighbours HUGE conifer fell into my garden during my time there too, bringing down my fencing and hitting my house. Not a tree fan myself grin

tilder Thu 14-Jul-16 17:41:07

I love trees. They do bring some extra issues for a garden (the leaves!) But they are beautiful. Depending on what they are. Am not a fan of Leylandii.

What type of tree are they? How close are they to the house?

Would say trees in a neighbours house are more of a problem as legally you can't do anything.

We have had lots of quotes. They vary massively depending on what is included and how difficult the job is. Just cutting down is cheapest. Then you can add on chipping the little stuff, splitting into logs and stump grinding.

We had all that done on 4 big (3' diameter) trees for £800.

funnyperson Sun 17-Jul-16 14:34:17

I love trees though not conifers so much
I have a large oak tree at the bottom of the garden it must be well over 100 years old if not older and has a preservation order on it
Over the years we have managed to get permission to cut lower branches off so that they no longer overhang the garden but the tree still grows sideways providing much welcome screening from the neighbours
The ceanothus has had its canopy raised
Raising the canopy is often a good strategy
If you do get a tree cut down I think it's nice to ask the tree surgeon to slice up the trunk for you to provide stepping stones for a path rather than shred it entirely
Our trees provide shelter for birds who eat slugs which is brilliant and the bird song is also very nice. A garden without birdsong is not a complete garden imo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now