Talk

Advanced search

What would you plant here?

(6 Posts)
DesolateWaist Sun 10-Jul-16 20:33:12

My garden is south facing but this picture is of the west facing fence. There are a lot of trees in my garden and it backs onto a very well established woodland. This border only gets the evening sun.

I want to get out the green leafy plant in the picture and put something else in, but I'm not sure what. Also, does anyone know what the green leafy plant is? I think it might be a tree that has been cut back for years.

wowfudge Sun 10-Jul-16 20:47:11

I can't tell as the photo isn't close enough, but the leaves look very like a Rowan or Mountain Ash to me.

DesolateWaist Sun 10-Jul-16 20:57:40

I think it might be a Rowan as the trunk to the left is the trunk of a rather nice Rowan. The one to the right is a maple.

traviata Sun 10-Jul-16 22:07:24

what kind of thing would you like to plant there? Flowers or foliage, and what size?

Plenty of plants will be happy with evening sun only , but the soil might be quite dry and there will be a lot of competition with the tree roots for nutrients etc.

DesolateWaist Sun 10-Jul-16 22:10:18

The soil is very dry. It's on quite a slope too so I think the water drains away.
Ideally I'd like something floral there really.

traviata Sun 10-Jul-16 22:16:16

how about hardy geraniums? or for a shrub, have a look at daphne, choisya, fuchsia (might be a bit too dry), cotinus.

It might be an idea to dig in a lot of organic matter eg manure, garden compost, mushroom compost into the soil to boost it up a bit and stop it being so dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now