Battery powered law mowers - any words of wisdom?

(8 Posts)
Squirrelfruitandnutkin Wed 06-Jul-16 09:33:21

We have an electric mower but it is not great and after an incident with colour blind dh and the red cable in the green grass... the cable is half the length it should be. We have an extension lead so not a complete disaster. But I am now in sole charge of grass cutting as dh isn't safe!

I don't like the idea or noise of a petrol one but have noticed that mowers with lithium batteries are now available.

Are they any good or just a gimmick?
I like the idea of no cables - less faff and dh can cut the grass safely again!

Any words of wisdom?

CatherineDeB Wed 06-Jul-16 11:01:44

We have one that my Dad gave me. Our lawn is enormous and DH cuts it with another mower but I do the inner garden with the little one. One charge is enough to do about 70 ft square. Ours is a Bosch one, not sure if they come in more capable forms than ours but it is good for 'naice' grass - wouldn't work well on rough stuff as not enough oomph.

CatherineDeB Wed 06-Jul-16 11:12:04

If you need one for a bigger area what about a petrol mower?

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Wed 06-Jul-16 18:12:28

Our house is a new build so garden is not at all big! 😄 I don't like the idea of petrol mowers or the noise so I've discounted them.

Ferguson Thu 07-Jul-16 19:10:47

There was a thread on these a few weeks ago. They seem good, but can cost £2K!

In a day or two I'll try to find, and send details.

CatherineDeB Thu 07-Jul-16 19:16:08

The one I have was about £350 I think. If the OP doesn't have a very big garden it will be more than good enough. My inner garden isn't small and it copes beautifully. Beyond that we have upwards of an acre which is petrol mower territory.

moggle Thu 07-Jul-16 23:39:53

If the garden's really not very big, and isn't too slopy, in your shoes I'd maybe try a cylinder (manual) mower first. £30-50 new according to Amazon. Though I'm sure you can get them for peanuts on eBay or selling sites?

Ferguson Fri 08-Jul-16 19:34:18

These are two of the robot mowers:

robomow.com/en-GB/explore-robomow/

www.husqvarna.com/uk/lawn-garden/when-working/maintenance/install-robotic-lawn-mower/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now