Talk

Advanced search

Houseplant question - watering

(4 Posts)
icapturethecastle Tue 05-Jul-16 22:49:14

Why do you think my plant is curling and edges going brown. It gets a bit of sun, watered a little bit every other day. Am I watering too much? Should I move it away from the window - total black thumb! Thank you

NanTheWiser Wed 06-Jul-16 12:17:40

It's a Calathea, possibly C. mackoyana. Calatheas really hate a dry atmosphere, and bright sunlight, they do best with high humidity and light shade, coming from the undergrowth of tropical forests. IMO, they don't really make good houseplants (although the different forms and species are GORGEOUS!) because of their requirements. You could place it on a pebble tray containing water which will evaporate round the plant, and spray regularly, but do take it out of the sun! They also prefer rainwater rather than tap water.
Best place for them is often the bathroom...

icapturethecastle Wed 06-Jul-16 13:16:25

Thank you so much I have moved it grin

WowOoo Wed 06-Jul-16 18:21:57

I have a similar plant. I let it go dry and then water it a bit. I'd say every 4/5 days. It's in a warm room. Sometimes, a few leaves die. I've had mine for years and repotted it about 3 times.
I think you are giving it too much water. Try easing off a bit and see what happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now