Talk

Advanced search

Is this an olive tree?

(8 Posts)
PeaceNotPieces Tue 05-Jul-16 12:48:48

Moved in a few months ago and were discovering loads of lovely things in the garden. But I thought olive trees grew in hot countries? And would they be edible (or is that a silly question?)

mouldycheesefan Tue 05-Jul-16 12:52:36

No it's not an olive tree, the leaves are all wrong. I have olive trees. Is it greengage or plum?

WowOoo Tue 05-Jul-16 13:00:31

It looks like my friend's greengage tree.

Strongandcalm03 Tue 05-Jul-16 14:57:14

Or a quince tree? Did it have flowers just recently? Fruits turn yellow and usually the size of a baking apple.

PeaceNotPieces Tue 05-Jul-16 16:33:21

It did flower yes. I've never heard of these fruits though-apart from the plum.

georgiatraher Tue 05-Jul-16 16:34:44

No. Sorry, I don't recognise what it actually is but definitely not an Olive.

wowfudge Tue 05-Jul-16 17:29:48

Definitely a member of the plum family. Greengages are like plums but yellowy green when ripe. A bit sweeter maybe. The leaves are wrong for quince or apricot and the fruit looks too big to be damsons.

JT05 Wed 06-Jul-16 07:26:25

Strangely, we also found a tree like this in our new front garden. It had small blossoms on it, in the spring. I thought it was an ornamental prunus. Then about 3 weeks ago I noticed the fruit. I am assuming it's a plum or greengage.
Ours does not look as if it was a nursery bought tree, as the previous owners weren't gardeners. It is quite young and random I think it might be a plum stone that grew. I'm looking forward to seeing what they are, it's full of fruit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now