Talk

Advanced search

Please help me revive this tree/bush!

(5 Posts)
BasinHaircut Mon 04-Jul-16 15:18:41

Last year you lovely green fingered mnetters helped me identify this:
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/gardening/2356607-is-removing-a-tree-bush-that-bees-love-a-really-bad-thing-to-do?pg=3&order=#prettyPhoto

And you will be glad to know that we kept it.

Anyway, the RHS website said that it didn't need pruning so I didn't do anything to it.

Anyway this year it hardly had any flowers or leaves and has died off really early. It currently looks like the attached.

So I'm guessing that I do actually need to do something and hoping that I can revive it for winter/spring.

Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks in advance

traviata Tue 05-Jul-16 19:48:20

Hmm, it isn't looking good. It should be covered in green leaves at this time of year.

I suspect it might have died over the winter, possibly because the roots may have been too wet with the constant rain we had.

Try cutting off all the brown leaves, and look carefully at the stems. Are there any little tiny green shoots at all? If not, cut a few of the branches back to a few inches above the trunk, and wait to see if they put out some shoots. You could also put some compost or manure around the base (not right up to the trunk but close) or water on a plant feed around the base.

BasinHaircut Tue 05-Jul-16 20:58:29

It did have some leaves and flowers so couldn't have completely died??
I can't see any new shoots though, but if it's winter flowering would it shoot now?

traviata Tue 05-Jul-16 22:04:40

yes, even if winter flowering the main season for new growth would be spring/summer.

BasinHaircut Wed 06-Jul-16 07:52:18

Oh ok, thanks. I'll give it a go later smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now