Talk

Advanced search

Two garden questions, one possibly a silly idea.

(3 Posts)
fendt Sun 03-Jul-16 17:50:49

I'm in the process of tidying up the garden in our new house and I don't really have a clue what I'm doing, so I'm quite happy for this to be the year of experimenting. For this reason, I don't want to spend huge amounts.

I've dug up a little herb garden and taken some cuttings from MIL's garden, and she's also given a load of cuttings of very low maintenance but pretty plants. I've stuck them in the ground and if they grow, they grow, if not, nothing lost.

One bit I'm stuck on though is the pre-existing flower beds in front of a garden wall in the back garden. I had great plans to fill them with lovely flowers, but having watched the garden today, it seems these beds don't really get any sun at all, because of the wall shading them. So what should I do with them? Next door have an amazing garden, and they have a gravelled area full of different size/height pots, but they also don't have the wall like we do. I also think this would be expensive to start from scratch. Any ideas of a way to pretty up a fairly narrow shady area?

Also, the other silly idea was one I saw on Pinterest. We have lots of paving (a long path from driveway to house, and then around to back of house) and it's not very pretty and all different stone. I need to de-weed in between, but then I saw the flower idea from the picture above which looks really sweet. How would I go about having dainty flowers in the gaps of paving? Will it just be a nightmare to keep up with? What about when it's winter and there's no flowers?

traviata Sun 03-Jul-16 22:13:06

beds shaded by wall - are they to the north of a wall? Do they get any sun at all?

have a look at this long and wonderful thread all about shade-loving plants;

shady characters

and this thread about growing between paving stones;
here

fendt Mon 04-Jul-16 12:42:29

Thank you for sharing those links, really helpful. I've ordered some creeping thyme seeds for between the paving and excited for them to come so I can give it a go.

The back garden is SE facing with the wall sort of in the middle, so the beds are NW of the wall if that makes sense. One part gets a little sunlight but the other doesn't really get any at all. I'm going to sit and have a good read of the long shade thread for some ideas. I think it will just be tricky to try and have some colour there for a lot of the year, rather than a month or so of flower and then gone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now