Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me what this plant is called?

(8 Posts)
MissBeaHaving Sat 02-Jul-16 17:55:36

I have come across this plant in one of my borders,I've no idea what it is as I've not planted it myself.

I can only assume one of my lovely garden birds has left it as a thank you whilst nibbling one of the hundreds of fat balls provided! hope it's not a weed.

Gatekeeper Sat 02-Jul-16 17:58:52

Tutsan a member of the st Johns Wort fambly

Lunaballoon Sat 02-Jul-16 17:59:57

Looks like hypericum to me.

ShowOfHands Sat 02-Jul-16 18:00:09

Yep, hypericum. I love it.

MissBeaHaving Sat 02-Jul-16 18:12:53

Thank you, I'm pleased it's not a weed.
I have never heard of it but then I'm a novice gardener when It comes to the flowering type. Is it a large plant?
It's come up near enough on top of one of my big plants so I'm wondering if I should move it somewhere with a bit of space?

BoatyMcBoat Sat 02-Jul-16 18:24:38

We have lots of it as one neighbour has one which winds into our garden over the wall. I wondered what it was.

MissBeaHaving Sat 02-Jul-16 18:29:04

Just had a Google & it says it's toxic.confused
Think I had better do some more reading up as I have young DN,DN plus the 2 dogs...

Gatekeeper Sun 03-Jul-16 09:09:16

all hypericums are considered toxic and tutsan is no different. It won't taste very nice though but will look more attractive to your children when the berries turn black so might be time to remove if you are nervous about them and dogs ingesting them

Birds will eat the berries and poo them out and you will get more plants !

in medieval times they used to put the dried leaves in drawers and cupboards as they smelled nice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now