Talk

Advanced search

eek my tomato plants are growing really well and now I don't know what to do next

(3 Posts)
littleoctonauts Fri 01-Jul-16 15:53:58

For various reasons my tomato plants have been a little neglected in the last month...It has rained so much that I didn't even need to go and water them. Checked today and they've grown so big! I haven't pruned them or fed them at all. What can I do to maximise their potential now? There are 6 plants in this pic, I'm guessing it's too late to move any as the roots might be intertwined? They're in a bathtub btw.

nannybeach Fri 01-Jul-16 16:07:08

You could still thin them out into more pots or garden, because they will be huge by harvest time. You dont prune tomatos, you take out the little side shoots that appear on the v in between main and side stem, to keep main stem strong and healthy, feed them with a liquid tom food once they set fruit, join the Gardeners World Forum for lots of help and advice.

littleoctonauts Fri 01-Jul-16 18:05:44

Thank you so much for your reply!

How should I thin them out?

Should I remove the side shoots now, even from the bottom? I'm on gardeners world but not posted On there for ages!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now