Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What's happening to my Petunias? (Photo)

(8 Posts)
MyLlamasGoneBananas Fri 01-Jul-16 12:40:04

It's my first year gardening so a complete novice.
I've been battling cats snails and slugs. All was going well until about 2 weeks ago. I started to notice some of my flowers (mainly petunias but others too) have started to look wilted and holey and just kind of damaged, as per pic below. Even some that haven't fully bloomed look like this. We have had some horrendous windy wet weather with torrential downpours. Is it that that's causing the damage or something else?

PlanD Fri 01-Jul-16 12:47:16

Yes they're quite delicate and can get damaged by heavy rain. It looks like that to me.

MrsJackAubrey Fri 01-Jul-16 12:49:28

Rain. Petunias are very vulnerable to it.

MyLlamasGoneBananas Fri 01-Jul-16 12:55:34

Oh no! sad Hopefully they'll recover once deadhead ed and the dun comes back.

nannybeach Fri 01-Jul-16 16:12:05

Thompson and Morgan do Petunias that cope better in the rain that most I got Cloud Nine this year which are white, with a purple vein, and the new night sky, you need to dead head regularly.

traviata Fri 01-Jul-16 18:13:28

I agree with pp - deadhead regularly.
With short-lived container plants like petunias, you can 'treat them mean to keep them keen'. The more you cut off the flowers, and stress them by cramming them into a small space, the more they will flower, because they can't extend their roots.

MyLlamasGoneBananas Fri 01-Jul-16 20:51:45

Thanks for the tips.

dolkapots Sat 02-Jul-16 16:39:57

This is my third year growing petunias and it is by far the worst. I think the rain has given them a real battering. Just keep dead heading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now