Talk

Advanced search

The balcony garden

(8 Posts)
funnyperson Thu 30-Jun-16 08:03:43

I would really appreciate any ideas/pictures of what to plant in pots on the balcony. It faces South, so plants on the outside of it will be in sun, but plants on the inside of it will be in the sheltered shade of the balcony wall. Unlike the garden, the balcony pots don't get watered very often.

NannyMarmalade Thu 30-Jun-16 08:07:47

Pots in full sun usually need watering daily. You could go for succulents and plants suitable for drought conditions. Have a look on Pinterest for ideas.

Suzietwo Thu 30-Jun-16 08:10:43

South facing garden, pots and not watering aren't a wonderful combination. Alpines and succulents

RebeccaNoodles Thu 30-Jun-16 08:41:18

Watching this as I have a (not very bonny) balcony myself that faces SW. I always forget to water things BUT the one thing I have had success with is geraniums. They are so hardy - you can forget to water them for weeks on end confused and they'll be fine, as long as they have sun. Oh, and you must dead-head them ie pull off any dead flowers. They love that, it encourages new growth. smile

funnyperson Thu 30-Jun-16 16:01:16

Do you think clematis would work? Also vegetables such as chillies/thyme?

NannyMarmalade Sun 10-Jul-16 10:09:49

Clematis likes its root-run to be damp.
Thyme sage and lavender would like full sun.

JT05 Sun 10-Jul-16 15:25:24

A small palm might look nice. In the winter you could cover it in fleece.

funnyperson Sun 10-Jul-16 21:18:17

Thank you for the suggestions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now