Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours!

(13 Posts)
mumof2littlemonsters Wed 29-Jun-16 16:22:56

About a week ago I chopped down some (not all) bushes in my front garden. I moved a small half shed there (it holds a couple of child's bicycles) temporarily whilst we are having building work. My neighbour has just marched up to me very aggressively wanting to know what I have done with the garden. Why hadn't she been consulted? She had enjoyed a yellow rose on the corner for 10 years (we moved in about 18 months ago) - what had I done with it? We have a beautiful apple tree in our front garden which is still there. I have been told by her in the past that I should chop it down (more than once). She used to cut a lavender in our front garden (it wasn't overgrown). It's really bizarre but it's like she thinks our garden is an extension of her own. I wouldn't for a minute expect to be consulted if she wanted to change her garden/chop down a rose bush etc etc. I don't want to fall out with neighbours but I haven't a clue how to handle this woman. Has anyone had anything similar?

DiamondInTheRuff Wed 29-Jun-16 16:27:37

We have a bonkers neighbour too, although I do feel bad for her as she has OCD. I usually find a breezey "oh, we've had a tidy up! Doesn't it look lovely?" the best way to go. Usually before shutting the door before she can respond.

What did you do to the Rose?

ClarkL Wed 29-Jun-16 16:28:37

I am afraid I haven't experienced this at all - perhaps ask her what it has to do with her?
I really do not understand how anyone believes someone else's garden is their business, cheeky mare

Scuttle22 Wed 29-Jun-16 16:29:05

We had a similar problem. I had an enormous beech tree at the front of our garden causing possible structural damage to our house. We lopped it down when we moved in and half the street ignored us for a few months! One guy said he used to park his car under it in the summer and it kept his car cool! Nobody has any trees in their front garden and they are mostly paved! grin

mumof2littlemonsters Wed 29-Jun-16 16:53:33

Thanks I wish I had thought of that - I will remember for next time (heaven forbid I should touch the scraggly leylandii next to it)! We have noticed her need to be in control but maybe it goes a bit deeper than that.

mumof2littlemonsters Wed 29-Jun-16 17:07:47

Ps yellow rose got it in the neck unfortunately - perhaps I should suggest if she likes them so much she should get one in her garden!

user1465823522 Wed 29-Jun-16 17:26:21

not nice. neighbours can be tough to deal with if you get an odd one. Ours is lovely - I cook his dinner and he feeds our cats and we've never had a disagreement. But the neighbours across the street from us are fucking horrible - screaming at all hours of the day and night, dog barking in garden all night and don't even get me started on those little shits they call kids.

mumof2littlemonsters Wed 29-Jun-16 17:33:13

Yes it's so much nicer if you get on with your neighbours - when we moved in she had been here for 9 years or so and she told me she had never been into our house - now I think I know why! She's one of those if you do exactly what she wants, and agree with everything she says we would probably get along fine. I shall just try and avoid her as much as possible

Thistledew Wed 29-Jun-16 17:36:13

You have my sympathy. My bonkers neighbour emailed me to say that she "didn't see the point" of the rose bush we have growing against the adjoining fence, despite it being in a magnificent, sweet scented, full white blossom at the time, and she objected to the petals falling into her garden.

A few days later she took matters into her own hands and cut back as much of the bush as she could reach- I appreciate she is entitled to cut back anything going over the fence, but this was leaning into our garden as far as she could reach.

I don't have any particular advice to offer, apart from refusing to get drawn into any sort of aggravation or conflict, but I would gladly swap you a 'complaining because you have done things' neighbour for one who decides to take your gardening into her own control.

mumof2littlemonsters Wed 29-Jun-16 17:53:15

Thanks - yes I know it could be a lot worse!! Although if looks could kill...

JT05 Wed 29-Jun-16 18:20:40

Our next door neighbour used to live in our house! The family also owned the one she now lives in!
She is lovely and likes gardening. We have just moved in and the previous owners didn't like gardening, so I hope she enjoys our restoration of 'her' garden.

Lighteningirll Wed 29-Jun-16 18:27:19

My neighbour complained that removing the massive willow tree that was causing a crack in our new house had 'spoilt her garden' and could we please think of her before doing any thing else.

mumof2littlemonsters Wed 29-Jun-16 18:42:47

Unbelievable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now