Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Four season plant pot

(6 Posts)
DontBuyANewMumCashmere Mon 27-Jun-16 21:48:10

I am filling a space (outside) near my front door with plant pots. I already have a few different plants (rose bush, holly, going to plant an evergreen shrub like box or something) but had an idea to have a pot that has flowering plants every season; snowdrops in spring etc

Has anyone done this and have you any tips or plant suggestions that work well together? Many thanks

traviata Mon 27-Jun-16 21:59:47

Do you mean just one pot that stays there all the time and has something interesting all year round? That is a tall order. The best bet might be an evergreen shrub that doesn't really do much, plus some bulbs for spring.

How about having a different pot each season? You could have a nice terracotta pot (or whatever) that stays there all the time, then plant up four plastic inners, and slot in a new one, change it around every few months.

ClarkL Tue 28-Jun-16 08:10:31

Have you seen layering of pots? Adding spring/summer bulbs like crocus, daffodils and tulips all at different depths in the pot? I've no idea how well it works but saw it on pinterest

JapanNextYear Tue 28-Jun-16 08:15:24

I've done a layered pot that lasted winter through to late spring. But I think all year would be a bit difficult. I gave another with evergreens in and smaller pot that I pot up with snow drops and then replace with small pots with narcissi. That was quite effective.

But I bought plastic inserts like suggested above and rotate them according to what looks good.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Tue 28-Jun-16 08:38:20

Thanks for your replies! I'm such a novice I didn't even consider it would be a difficult thing to do! blush
If I planted different bulbs and seeds in a flowerbed they'd all come out at different times so why wouldn't it work in a pot / planter?

Anyway the plastic inserts is a terrific idea and I'll try what Japan says.

Thanks again smile

traviata Tue 28-Jun-16 18:57:55

It's difficult to achieve in a flower bed, or even in an entire garden!

Bulbs - they come up and look lovely, then the leaves hang around for months looking shabby.

Seeds/ perennials - they spend weeks and weeks just being small and green, then the flowers arrive; but most plants have flowers that are over by mid-summer. Peak flower time is mid June. Then you have a green plant again, which may die away entirely in late autumn.

Shrubs - their flowers also come and go in a matter of weeks.

The only way to achieve all year interest is to really work at it with planning, and to have enough plants (in a big enough area) to have something different which looks good every few weeks. in a pot, you just could not fit enough in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now