We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

minimum size for bluebell bulbs

(4 Posts)
NotAnEMERGENCY Sun 26-Jun-16 15:00:47

I have lifted some Spanish bluebells as I want to move them to a different place in the garden but the new place isn't ready for planting yet (possibly not till Sep) as I'm having work done to it.

What should I do with the bulbs in the mean time? Should I clean them and dry them off before putting in a paper bag to store in the garage? Or would I be better off putting them in pots with compost until I can plant them in the garden again?

With either of those options, can I just plant them back in the garden as soon as the new planting place is ready or should I wait till autumn?

The bulbs range in size from about 3cm to <1cm. Is there a size below which it isn't worth bothering with? (I can always just chuck the tiny ones in the ground anyway but it might not be worth potting them.)

shovetheholly Sun 26-Jun-16 17:00:46

I don't think they like to dry out - I'd pop then in a pot with earth, keep it watered, then plant in when you're ready. They don't mind being uprooted and disturbed - it's how they spread.

NotAnEMERGENCY Sun 26-Jun-16 20:29:32

Right, I'll do that - thanks, Shove!

Ferguson Sun 26-Jun-16 20:32:10

Even the tiny ones (like children !) do get bigger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now