Talk

Advanced search

geraniums ( not hardy ) looking peaky ,should I feed ?

(26 Posts)
gingeroots Thu 23-Jun-16 10:46:26

I have a very large pot in a sheltered position near my front door . It has had geraniums in it for about 3 years . They retained some flowers over winter .

They are still going strong but some leaves are yellowing at the edges and developing blackish splotches .

Anyone know why or how I can help them ? Could they need feeding ? If so what ? I have Baby Bio and Tomato Feed .

gingeroots Sat 25-Jun-16 11:41:32

Anyone ?Shall I go with tomato food ?

bilbodog Sat 25-Jun-16 12:22:18

Have you ever repotted them? If not you could take them out, get rid of th e old compost and replace with fresh. Then feed regularly whilst they are flowering. Take off the yellow leaves.

gingeroots Sat 25-Jun-16 15:08:01

thanks ,I repotted last autumn and I remove any leaves that look yellow .

what would be the most approriate feed ?

bilbodog Sat 25-Jun-16 16:05:47

I would use the tomato feed.

gingeroots Sat 25-Jun-16 16:51:20

That's great ,thank you so much .

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 25-Jun-16 16:53:30

They love tomato feed.

GeorgeTheThird Sat 25-Jun-16 16:55:59

Is it possible they have just reached the end of their lifespan and it's time to buy new ones? Aldi have big individual ones this week - red, white or pink.

gingeroots Sun 26-Jun-16 09:48:57

They might be getting that way .They were my mum's ,so I'm a bit sentimental .

QuartzUcan Sun 26-Jun-16 17:19:29

I sympathise gingeroots - this year my Dad's geraniums have failed and I assume come to the end of their life 3 years after he has gone - I kept them for sentimental reasons and they thrived until this year - so I understand your sentiment about not wanting to simply replace.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sun 26-Jun-16 17:27:24

Get some cuttings, geraniums grow like weed, you'll have new plants in a couple of weeks.

gingeroots Sun 26-Jun-16 20:33:39

Thanks Quartz ,that's kind of you .

That's a good idea Chardonnay .I'd not thought of it as I'm not experienced and have never taken a cutting .

I'll have a google and a go . Nothing to loose !

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sun 26-Jun-16 20:47:38

Easy.
Break of the end bit of a branch with a few leaves and stick in a pot.

That's it.

gingeroots Mon 27-Jun-16 09:30:36

Really ? Wow !

GeorgeTheThird Mon 27-Jun-16 16:30:27

Don't you suspend it in a glass of water for a bit until it grows roots, then stick it in a pot?

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 27-Jun-16 16:32:59

No, no need.

I do it with hardy geraniums too, esp macrorhizum.

GeorgeTheThird Mon 27-Jun-16 16:34:50

Hardy geraniums are brilliant. I have pulled them out like weeds, then potted them up and they've grown. I don't think this is recommended though!

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 27-Jun-16 16:37:51

I love them, grow everywhere, easy to propagate.

I stuck 6 cuttings in the borders on Saturday. I'll let you know how many have survived next week.

GeorgeTheThird Tue 28-Jun-16 07:51:28

Please do. Had you potted them up for a few weeks first?

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 28-Jun-16 10:02:10

No, I had a big plant with lots of runners, so it's very much like root cuttings.

Stuck them in the borders, they look quite perky.

ppeatfruit Tue 28-Jun-16 13:13:35

But are they pelargoniums or geraniums? If they're pelargoniums they won't be too happy in the garden.

TheRoadToRuin Tue 28-Jun-16 13:21:10

I understand the sentimental attachment. Not Geraniums, but I have Christmas Cacti that are the great great grandcacti of the ones belonging to my lovely late FIL who died 25 years ago smile.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 28-Jun-16 19:53:08

The ones in the borders are Geranium Maccrorhizum. Bees adore them.

The ones in the pots are pelargonium.

Same procedure, break off a bit and stick it in.

ppeatfruit Wed 29-Jun-16 12:30:55

The border ones are hardy and the potted ones need bringing in during the winter.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 29-Jun-16 13:09:43

I know, I have nowhere to bring them in though, so they stay in their pots huddled together somewhere sheltered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now