Is a honeysuckle going to be ok over this porch?

(5 Posts)
Kitsmummy Sun 19-Jun-16 07:40:18

Hi, I'm currently in the middle of a big exterior re-furb...I have green cottage windows going in next week. The rendering is all going to be painted an off white and I've had a flower bed built on the front of the porch. Basically I want to disguise the ugly porch.

I have a Lonicera Belgica (bought looking really healthy from Aldi 3 weeks ago but now looking quite mildewy...is this a problem?) and am planning to plant at the front and grow over the porch.

My question is, do you think it will get too wide and bushy there, and would you plant something else with it?

Thanks

JT05 Sun 19-Jun-16 10:28:49

It could get out of hand, it depends on the variety. Mine is rampant at the moment, but it does not matter as it grows in hedges. If I pruned it now I'd be cutting the flowers off.

How about a summer and winter jasmine planted together, then you have flowers all year round. They'd need a little support, but would cover the walls without too much bother. Summer jasmine has a scent.

JT05 Sun 19-Jun-16 10:29:53

Your cottage looks lovely. BTW.

Kitsmummy Sun 19-Jun-16 10:39:10

Thanks JT, it's North facing, would that work with jasmine?

JT05 Sun 19-Jun-16 13:04:42

North facing should be OK. My winter jasmine is N. Facing. The summer is over a pergola, but grows all round, so N should be fine. The summer might flower slightly later, but as there area is open they should both look good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now